Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Having a miserable time  (Read 41849 times)

Hurdity

Re: Having a miserable time
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »

Yes I see Dr Currie suggested Evorel but there are two transdermal HRT types - both listed on here - the other being Femseven. If you think it will look better if you follow Dr Currie's advice completely and try that one - I can see that.

Utrogestan is manufactured by Besins in France. It used to be marketed by Ferring in UK but I see my new 100 mg utrogestan just has Besins on the box whereas the old ones have Ferring on them. Maybe they've been taken over. It doesn't really matter - they will be able to find it just as easily as I can as a patient.

Now you just need to think about what you really want to ask for, and how you are going to approach it as calmly as you can before Thursday.  We do wish you all the best at your appointment - practice what you want to say and try to be brave and confident and let us know how you get on!!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2014, 07:20:46 PM »

So make a double appt next time. 

In the mean time, do some relaxation exercises which I found out, require practice  ::) which meant I forgot to do them and then got cross with Me for not remembering  ::)

Worrying is a part of ageing but you may be nicely surprised  ;)

Dandelion

« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2014, 07:25:45 PM »

Yes I see Dr Currie suggested Evorel but there are two transdermal HRT types - both listed on here - the other being Femseven. If you think it will look better if you follow Dr Currie's advice completely and try that one - I can see that.

Utrogestan is manufactured by Besins in France. It used to be marketed by Ferring in UK but I see my new 100 mg utrogestan just has Besins on the box whereas the old ones have Ferring on them. Maybe they've been taken over. It doesn't really matter - they will be able to find it just as easily as I can as a patient.

Now you just need to think about what you really want to ask for, and how you are going to approach it as calmly as you can before Thursday.  We do wish you all the best at your appointment - practice what you want to say and try to be brave and confident and let us know how you get on!!

Hurdity x
Hi CKLD and Hurdity

I was going to give the evorel a try, but am nervous in case the norethisterone affects me badly.
I never ever suffered from PMT though and I heard norethisterone mainly affects those who have had pmt.
Thanks for the information about bessins.
Do you think the GP's were trying to fob me off when they said they cannot find utrogestan?
If so, how can I get around that?
I will mention mims, should I also look it up in the BNF
I'm just so nervous because I am so eager to get rid of the meno symptoms and get on with my life again.

Dandelion

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »

What upsets me is that I hear so many women say life improved so much after the right hrt, and yet it seems I cannot have that.

I feel powerless against a doctor who gets shirty when I ask for utrogestan.
It's like she has scared me off asking again, yet I would feel much happier if I was given the opportunity to try utrogestan and patches or gel.

honeybun

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2014, 09:11:27 PM »

Utrogestan does not stop flushes though which is your main problem.

You asked Dr Curries advice and you have her email. I think you I'll confuse things if you go with a letter recommending one thing and then asking for another.

Best to stick with the experts advice.

Honeyb
x

Dandelion

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2014, 09:31:22 PM »

Utrogestan does not stop flushes though which is your main problem.

You asked Dr Curries advice and you have her email. I think you I'll confuse things if you go with a letter recommending one thing and then asking for another.

Best to stick with the experts advice.

Honeyb
x
Hi Honeybun

Thanks, I know utrogestan does not stop flushes, oestradiol does.
I want the utrogestan because I am scared to risk horrible side effects from norethisterone.
I am toying with the idea of emailing Dr Currie again about the utrogestan.
This is because, if Dr Currie agrees, I will print off her reply to the second email and invite the doctor to see that also.
I have already drafted a letter to Dr Currie. I know it will cost but I am really anxious to get this sorted.
Here is a copy of the second email I have drafted for Dr Currie:

I am the lady who you recently helped, about not absorbing femoston and patches for migraine, thank you. In your reply you mentioned evorel. I am prone to anxiety and depression, perimenopause has made this much worse, and I heard lots of women get worsened anxiety and derpession from norethisterone. I am afraid to try norethisterone. I was advised on menopausematters forum, that utrogestan is much easier. I know other british women are prescribed it on the NHS, but I am having difficulty obtaining it at ******** medical centre, my own surgery. I asked two different GP's at ********, and neither of them could find it in their book, even though they looked under 'utrogestan' and 'micronised progesterone/prgestin'. Last year, my GP also advised me that I will not be able to stay on HRT permenently due to the risks, but I would rather take a small risk and be on hrt for as long as I want, rather than live in misery with menopause symptoms. I have assertiveness problems and perimenopause has made me even less confident, and I am scared of how the doctors will respond when I ask again, so I wondered if you could suggest anything that may help me obtain transderman oestradiol and utrogestan.in this matter please?

It would give me some confidence if someone could read the above note before I send it off to see if it is ok, or could be improved in any way

thanks
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:06:25 PM by Dandelion »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2014, 10:01:44 AM »

One step at a time!  You have a short appt time on Thursday and as suggested, try not to confuse the issue in hand, otherwise not only will your GP be trying to deal with several issues, so will your body.  Medication takes time to work and sometimes needs a hike in doseage or a change completely.  Our bodies don't get where they are are over-night so have to adjust to anything 'thrown' at them  ::).  When I was depressed I wanted a cure and I wanted it yesterday but I had to wait so the panic for me was 'will the treatment work', 'when will I feel better', 'will I ever feel better'  :'(

But I did improve and .......... most days  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2014, 10:51:46 AM »

I agree with honeybun & CLKD - don't confuse things at this point. I only mentioned the Utrogestan because of your worries -  and also many of us are very busy and some are working (like me) and can't remember all the details when we come on here to post, and I think we are all getting tied up in knots in trying to advise you.

You took the step of consulting Dr Currie and the best thing to do is to go with her advice and suggestions. You said you didn't suffer pmt and you are OK with the progestogen in Femoston. Most women are fine with norethisterone - we only hear on the forum about the women with problems - if the side effects were widespread it would have been taken off the market by now.

Now - work out what you are going to say and practice before Thursday and good luck!

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2014, 11:36:56 AM »

Good advice from Hurdity.

Let us know on Thursday how you get on.

Honeyb
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »

Dandelion - your've had great advice from CKLD, honeybun and Hurdity.  Go with DR Curries advice.  At the end of the day your GP knows you quite well and has to decide what she feels is best for your general health.
If you go with a positive attitude then you may be surprised how well the appointment goes.   Deep breath. Good luck   DG x

Dandelion

lost Dr Curries email reply
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2014, 08:43:39 AM »

Dandelion - your've had great advice from CKLD, honeybun and Hurdity.  Go with DR Curries advice.  At the end of the day your GP knows you quite well and has to decide what she feels is best for your general health.
If you go with a positive attitude then you may be surprised how well the appointment goes.   Deep breath. Good luck   DG x
Hello

I made a doctors appointment for a double session on Tuesday next week with a doctor who is new to the surgery. I have a single appt on thursday with my own gp, but that is to discuss my recent mental health consultation, so there will be no time to discuss hormones in that one.
I also rang Besins healthcare and they are going to get back to me to see if they can give me the PIP code for utrogestan 100mg capsules, so hopefully the doctor wont fob me off.
Talk about fragmented.

EDIT, I now have the PIP code for utrogestan, so hopefully the doctor won't fob me off this time.
I get IBS-D badly, and it's only been with me since meno started.

Maybe, the right hrt will stop the IBS-d if i am right and meno has caused it.
Meanwhile my doctor gave me mebeverine for the IBS-d. They would rather treat the symptoms than the cause, crazy innit :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:26:45 AM by Dandelion »

ellie66

« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2014, 10:24:24 AM »

Good luck with your appointment day.

Dandelion

« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2014, 11:26:13 AM »

Good luck with your appointment day.
Hi Ellie

Thanks. I won't have time to discuss horones today, as the appt is only ten mins and is about my mental health, but I have made a double one next week, especially for hormones.

chickpea

« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »

I have had awful night sweats for over 4 years. I'm being treated for pmdd. Dandelion you probably know all these but here are my night sweat top tips:

• Sleep naked and have a pile of clean towels next to the bed so you can wrap yourself up and sling a wet one out all through the night with minimal disruption
    • I invested in an outlast mattress protector which does help to wick some moisture away - didn't tell OH it had arrived and he noticed difference without me telling him it was on the bed
    • also have a climarelle duvet but not sure this works
    • sometimes I eat a handful of almonds in the middle of night, which makes me feel better mentally at least
    • give yourself a break, so few people really have experience of night after night of drenching sweats
FYI I use 6 pumps of oestrogel a day and it has taken the edge off my sweats but does not control them, tricky balance with breasts that turn into nuclear warheads!

Dandelion

« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »

I have had awful night sweats for over 4 years. I'm being treated for pmdd. Dandelion you probably know all these but here are my night sweat top tips:

• Sleep naked and have a pile of clean towels next to the bed so you can wrap yourself up and sling a wet one out all through the night with minimal disruption
    • I invested in an outlast mattress protector which does help to wick some moisture away - didn't tell OH it had arrived and he noticed difference without me telling him it was on the bed
    • also have a climarelle duvet but not sure this works
    • sometimes I eat a handful of almonds in the middle of night, which makes me feel better mentally at least
    • give yourself a break, so few people really have experience of night after night of drenching sweats
FYI I use 6 pumps of oestrogel a day and it has taken the edge off my sweats but does not control them, tricky balance with breasts that turn into nuclear warheads!
Hi Chickpea

6 pumps of oestrogel sounds like a really large dose of oestrogen.
Could this be too much, and that is why you are still sweating?

Thanks for the tips.

I get really bad IBS from the menopause.
Instead of giving me sufficient oestrogen, to stop the IBS, the doctor prescribed me mebeverine to stop the IBS symptoms.
The mebeverine is giving me such awful heartburn that I am going to have to stop taking it.
I wouldn't put it past my doctor to prescribe anti heartburn drugs to combat the side effects of the IBS meds, costing me even more money in prescriptions.
I am just glad that I have Dr Currie's emails which I will take next week to the GP.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8