Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Can not lose weight during the Menopause  (Read 3759 times)

Oracle22

Can not lose weight during the Menopause
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »

HI I am late to the Menopause,  and frankly quite frustrated as  I am unable to lose weight.   I work out with a personal trainer 4 times a week and maybe lose a pound here and there but I can not shed the pounds I need to.   I think at best,  I am keeping any potential weight gain at bay.  Anyone else facing a similar challenge.
IN the past I have managed to lose weight reasonably easy, keeping it off has been the problem.  I am not a drinker and on average take in about 1500 calories a day sometimes less.  Occasionally more on those naughty days which are few and far between.  Would welcome any suggestions.

Dancinggirl

Re: Can not lose weight during the Menopause
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 03:45:03 PM »

Hi and Welcome Oracle22
Sadly loosing or even maintaining weight can be a real problem when the menopause hits.
Over the last 9 months I have managed to loose around 5 pounds by reducing my portions and cutting out sugary carbs. I'm not sure where on my body I've lost the weight because my waist and hips are definitely bigger!!!!! The body seems to change shape !!
I was a professional dancer and used to weigh between 7 and a half and 7 and three quarter stone (I was very slim). I've slipped up to 9 stone over the last 10 years so I feel enormous.
To be honest, provided you don't gain too much, I think it is better to be slightly plumbed up as it's kinder on your face.

Gail

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 04:00:23 PM »

Hi Oracle

Just a wee note to let u know your not alone.

I'm struggling with my weight too I'm 56 and have just started to experience all the menopause symptoms including weight gain. It broke my heart last week having to take back my size 10 jeans and replace them for a 12.

Good for u doing all the exercise I'm feeling too tired at the moment my limit is trying to walk home from work and only getting as far as the bus stop :)

Xx

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 04:58:03 PM »

Hi, I think I just answered this somewhere else  ???

Winterose

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 12:21:44 PM »

Try the 5;2 but modify it a bit so you arent on such a low calorie count, when you get to the weight you want to be its only 1 day a w eek, better than yo yoing up and down , however not for everyone. I do about 900 cals not 500 as that was too low for me, weight still falls off but a bit slower,  :P

Henrietta

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 03:51:31 PM »

I've come to join your club . I'm nearly 49 and 2 years Post TAH BSO . I've been on HRT since hyster and have put on 2 stone since my surgery.  I thought  before they chopped some bits out I might end up weighing a bit less but boy was I mistaken :(

oldsheep

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 04:50:27 PM »

I'm in the same boat - and yes, it's lower in the water! I weigh 5kgs (sorry, not used to stones) more than I did pre meno. I've tried dieting and nada. I even didn't lose weight after my colonoscopy prep and the strict diet I had to follow before it and straight after it for 3 weeks.
I finally threw out all the clothes that didn't fit and am now used to being bigger. But I try hard not to put on any more weight. It's also got harder to get dresses that fit as I am one size up top and another round the middle.
I do feel fat these days. I have small bones so it's not noticeable but I'm self conscious about it.

I also retain fluid. When I go somewhere hot, my feet swell up badly. Never used to happen.  ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 08:44:35 AM »

Perhaps nature wants us to be carrying just a bit more weight once we get to meno (I mean maybe 5-10 pounds) as it is often kinder on our face and way back before modern medicine one needed reserves in case of illness. The redistribution of any fat seems common to everyone. I sometimes see women in their 50s or older who are stick thin and they do tend to look older in the face and often quite stooped.
I do think good posture is vital. Walking tall, holding your tummy in, don't allow your shoulders to slouch etc. These things will reduce tension in the shoulders, help to support your spine and bone structure generally and can make you look and feel younger.
Just typing this now has made me think how I am sitting - I've just relaxed my shoulders and sat up straight. DG x