Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan timing  (Read 2488 times)

SueRoe

Utrogestan timing
« on: September 24, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions... but... I'm thinking of asking my GP if I can try Utrogestan and separate oestrogen patches because of a big rise in anxiety, sleeplessness and hair loss on femseven sequi. What I don't understand is this; it says in the "HRT Preparations" part of this website that the taking of separate progesterone must be timed with the existing cycle. How can this be achieved when my (and many other women's) cycle is completely erratic, and "hidden" underneath an existing HRT? Am I being dim here?

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan timing
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 07:32:10 PM »

Unfortunately when you are still fairly early in peri-menopause this is one of the drawbacks ie it can be difficult to tie in with a variable cycle. If your cycle is still fairly strong when it happens, then it may well break through from time to time and you could have unpredictable bleeding or spotting - or happening at the "wrong" time.

As you get further towards menopause it ceases to matter and the HRT induced withdrawal bleed becomes regular and predictable.

Hurdity x

SueRoe

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »

Sorry to pester (is this confusing or what?). Further to my earlier question, I've asked for and been given Utrogestan to use with Evorel patches. The GP (who'd never heard of Utrogestan but looked it up in her book) has prescribed it to be taken 100mg on days 1-25 and that's what the pharmacist has written on the box, but the leaflet in the box says to take on days 15-26. Does anyone who's more knowledgeable about all of this than I am know if the only difference between these 2 regimes is the pattern of bleeding? I don't much care whether I get a bleed or not as long as I feel OK and my womb lining is protected. Thanks again ladies for help and advice - it's invaluable when you don't know what the hell's going on!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »

Freda - do look up Utrogestan here:  http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

It explains very clearly the way you should take Utrogestan depending on whether you are peri or post meno.  If you are peri menopausal (which I believe you are) then you take it for the shorter time (so sequentially) but you need to take 2 tablets each day as I believe Utrogestan only comes in 100mg doses these days for some reason!!!. You used to be able to get 200mg pills!!!
Hope that helps.   DG x