Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: moods!!  (Read 3579 times)

janetbooboo

moods!!
« on: September 24, 2014, 07:43:04 AM »

Hi to everyone. I am new to the forum, so please forgive me if I get something wrong.
A quick overview of me..... I'm 46 and going through the menopause. I had to stop work in 2010, due to chronic pain illness. I have a lovely hubby, a beautiful daughter, and 2 gorgeous grandchildren Eve and Harry.
My question is about moods/mood swings. I am an easy going calm,loving person for 90% of the time, however the week before a period id due, I become so irritable and moody. My poor hubby is fab and really doesnt deserve to be at the butt of my mood. It gets so bad sometimes, that I feel like I really hate him sometimes. And the poor thing realy doesnt deserve it. After this time is over, I go back to being my usual self. He must find it hard to forgive me, and go back to being "friends" again. I haven't been the the doctors about it yet, but I would like to ask you lovely people if there are any supplements or anything that I can use to control this horrible mood?
I also suffer Fibromyalgia/MS. But I have this under "control" as much as poss, with meds, and cope well with the daily problems I have.
Thanks for reading and I hope you are all feeling as well as you can be.

Jan.xxx

Ju Ju

Re: moods!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:21:51 AM »

Dear janetbooboo,

Love the name!  :welcomemm:

This takes me back to when I had periods. I remember a part of me watching me behaving badly and being shocked because this was not who I was. The only time I seemed to row with my husband was at a certain time of the month. I did explain to him and my children what going on and not to take on board my bad behaviour. It was difficult though, as my periods were irregular. Maybe others will come along with practical suggestions. Just be open and honest with your family, so they can adjust how they relate to you and not make unnecessary demands on you for those days on the month. For me the menopause may have brought different problems, but it was a huge relief to say goodbye to PMT.

Chi chi

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 08:26:56 AM »

Hiya, I'm also new here and to HRT so probably not much help lol but just wanted to say from what I've read this time before our periods is ALWAYS the worst!
I'm sure someone with lots more info will be along soon to help, just wanted to say you're not alone  :)

Estelle  :)

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:31:04 AM »

:welcomemm:

From me to.

There is an advice for husbands thingy that you can print out and let your hubby read. It will help him to understand what is going on. Lots of women have found it very helpful as it can be difficult to explain properly.

Have you seen your GP. Have a look at the menus on the left which gives you details of treatments both HRT and alternative.

Honeyb
x

caz24

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:03:58 AM »

Hi Jan

I am 47 and when I joined this forum a few months ago and I was going through the same as you as far as moods were concerned plus I was suffering on and off from anxiety. I just didn't feel like 'me'. My periods have become very irregular and heavy which didn't help. I have gone down the supplement route which has helped me for now, going through the old posts on here helped me decide what to take and I take Starflower oil (1000mg), B6, Calcium and Magnesium and Omega 3 fish oils (1200mg) and I feel a lot better and more balanced, not completely mood free but so much better.

I know that other ladies on here have tried anti-depressants and HRT so I would suggest reading as much as you can on here about other peoples experiences. It helps to know that this is normal and that you're not going mad and that you're definitely not alone. x

janetbooboo

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:41:36 AM »

thanks so much for your replies. I appreciate it so much. My hubby is great and I have explained as much as i can why this happens, but i feel so bad about "biting his head off" at times.` He has to cope with this and my fibro problems too, which he does really well. I'll read through others stories and see what others do about their moods. Thanks again.
Jan.xxxx :)
I had a private message from a member and I tried to reply, but it kept saying I wasnt allowed to send messages??? So if the member that messaged me is reading this, I did get your message but couldnt reply. Thanks v much for taking the time to message me.xxxx

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »

Hi janetbooboo

You can't send a pm until you've made 20 posts in the main menopause sections (ie not counting This and That etc).

You didn't mention HRT, but if your periods have become very irregular and you are suffering night sweats etc then you should seriously think about it because women are advised to take oestrogen up to the natural age of actual menopause which is 50-52 - to help protect your bones and heart. Perhaps the meds are preventing you experiencing flushes but you are noticing the mood swings form hormnal fluctuations - so perhaps be guided by these symptoms and your periods when considering HRT.

I don't know if your fibro symptoms are due to the MS but some women have found they are due to oestrogen deficiency and menopause and they improve or disappear once they start to take HRT.

Hurdity x

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 05:56:20 PM »

Hi Jan

Know what you mean, moods are a horrid problem.
Have you seen the advice for husbands thread? It helped me and OH lots when I printed it off. I have MS like you and found HRT really helped to even out moods and energy levels.
Re posts - I think you can send pms after 10 useful posts in the main sections

Limpy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:57:52 PM by Limpy »

janetbooboo

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 09:38:43 AM »

Hi janetbooboo

You can't send a pm until you've made 20 posts in the main menopause sections (ie not counting This and That etc).

You didn't mention HRT, but if your periods have become very irregular and you are suffering night sweats etc then you should seriously think about it because women are advised to take oestrogen up to the natural age of actual menopause which is 50-52 - to help protect your bones and heart. Perhaps the meds are preventing you experiencing flushes but you are noticing the mood swings form hormnal fluctuations - so perhaps be guided by these symptoms and your periods when considering HRT.

I don't know if your fibro symptoms are due to the MS but some women have found they are due to oestrogen deficiency and menopause and they improve or disappear once they start to take HRT.

Hurdity x Ahhhh thanks for thew info.x