Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anyone else?  (Read 3473 times)

Tufty

Anyone else?
« on: September 22, 2014, 07:37:35 PM »

Hi folks, am I seriously ill or post menopausal? I'm 56, not had a period for 3 years. Didn't really have bad symptoms pre menopause but 18 months ago I started suffering from anxiety, dizzy, nauseous, feeling weak. I have not had time off work apart from one time when I thought I couldn't get out of the car after driving the half an hour to work, had to get my husband to pick me up!! I've had heart, head, blood tests but all negative. I don't take HRT or any medication. I feel dizzy nearly every day and that scares me. I thought that I would start feeling less dizzy as the day goes on but it never goes. Is this menopause or something more sinister? I've found my local menopause clinic and just waiting to make an appointment. The hospital and GP are still looking into other tests. Has anyone else on this site suffered with those symptoms. Thanks for all your help. X

westie

Re: Anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »

Hi Tufty

Sorry you're feeling so bad, I completely understand where you're coming from, I am post menopausal too ( no period for 3 years) and my health anxiety is at an all time high. I had the dizziness earlier this year, it was awful, I was scared to go out and seemed to be worse when I lay down so I spent most nights propped up in bed convincing myself I had a brain tumour or something equally sinister. It lasted about 5/6 weeks and then it went as suddenly as it came and fingers crossed I've not had another episode. Someone on here ( think it was Silverlady )suggested it might be BPPV and when I googled it my symptoms did seem to match.

Since then however, I've had all sorts of other ailments (which I won't bore you with) and worried myself to death that it's another terrible illness.

Some days I can be rational and actually on those days I do feel physically better so I do think my mind has a lot to answer for! This meno journey is certainly challenging, I had no idea it would be like this, just thought my periods would stop and that would be it, how wrong I was!

I'm sure there will be others on here who have/are feeling the same, if you do a search, you'll see there are quite a few threads on dizziness which might help.

I just thank God for this site, it has given me so much reassurance that I'm not the only one suffering and that really helps.

Hope you're feeling better soon, big hugs

Westie x

Suzyq

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 02:53:00 AM »

My peri menopause started with acute vertigo - had no idea what it was! Try to take it easy when it hits - it's really awful I know. I had tests for labyrinthitis, bppv and menieres - all were negative for me - it was just hormones!! See your doctor as there are things that can help in the short-term xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:19:25 PM »

Could the 'dizzy' feelings be a trapped nerve in the back of your neck?  I get a woozy head feeling when I turn quickly and it's due to wear and tear.  It stops as fast as it happens, it's enough to make me go 'oh!' ..........

Keeping a food and mood diary can help us see if there is a pattern to the symptoms.  Let us know how you get on at the Clinic. In the mean-time, have you read the menus, left of screen?

We have a humerous room too  ;)

Tufty

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 05:40:06 PM »

Thank you for all your replies. This website and all you lovely ladies really do help. I will let you know how I get on at the clinic, I have to get my GP to refer me first. He has been good by sending me to hosp for lots and lots of checks but he doesn't mention the menopause...I do but he wants to look into other avenues to make sure I don't have anything else but I think deep down I know it's the big M. Thanks again for your answers and help. Really appreciate it xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »

<wave> Tufty ......... have a browse, menus left of screen - I may have suggested that already  ::).  At least your GP is covering other issues as we should not blame meno on everything we suffer from 'at a certain age'.  That way issues can be dismissed and you can concentrate on any menopause symptoms.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:44:49 PM »

I too was about to ask if you have any neck tension or pain.  I have prolapsed disc and bad arthritis in my neck and have had daily dizziness with occasional severe vertigo for 20 years and its all due to my damaged neck ::)

That plus meno is the pits!