Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: FSH Levels  (Read 3185 times)

toffeecushion

FSH Levels
« on: September 23, 2014, 03:25:39 AM »

At what level would you expect to start experiencing perimenopause symptoms?   I was 8 at the beginning of the year and am now 10.

Is that too low for my symptoms to be perimenopause?

Taz2

Re: FSH Levels
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:59:05 AM »

Your levels are very low toffee. Fertility clinics look for a level below 14 I believe in order for IVF to be successful.

Have you ever had any investigations re your pituitary gland? This is the gland which regulates FSH and if it goes a bit haywire then you can have low levels even when you would expect to be in menopause and it can make you feel quite ill.

There are details of levels here - they do have a wide range though http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003710.htm 

How are you feeling at the minute? I've forgotten what your symptoms (and your age sorry) are!

Taz x

caz24

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 09:42:57 AM »

Sorry to hijack your post and question toffeecushion but I just wanted to ask Taz2 (thanks for the link) that my FSH levels are 35 and this says 'after the menopause' in the link. I am still having periods, although they are all over the place so would this mean that I am still peri? I thought after the menopause meant when you had stopped having periods completely. I'm 47 x
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:48:49 AM by carol24 »

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »

To be post menopausal you need to have gone without a period for a year.

It's very unpredictable in peri.

Honeyb
x

caz24

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »

Thanks honeybun, the terminology of things that you read can be confusing but to be honest it doesn't take much to confuse me these days! So even though the link says that if your FSH is a certain level that is the menopause then you can still be peri? Maybe it's best not to get too hung up on levels etc but to know that you've got these changes going on should be enough.
x

Milamam

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 02:44:06 PM »

When I was started on HRT my FSH level was 12 but compared with other hormones and symptoms most importantly, my doctor assured me that i am perimenopausal and I need HRT. It also depends on the laboratory scale that has been used.

Milamam

cheekygal

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:13:34 PM »

My Gp said in fertile women FSH levels would be in the teens, my last blood test was 60 the one prior to that was in the 30's.  My medical notes now say menopause confirmed, although I have had a period since then, which was very light and didn't even go on the pad, have never had that before, I have always had quite heavy periods lasting 5/7 days.

Nata

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 01:40:04 AM »

Hi :)
My FSH is 70 and I am 46 yo. I am still having mens occasionally though...