Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: antidepressants  (Read 12400 times)

Maryjane

Re: antidepressants
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 05:18:52 PM »

Daisy the reason you where probably given it first is because it is a cheap as chips.  ;)

Dyan

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »

I take fluoxetine for OCD & Mirtazapine for anxiety & depression.
I get on well with both.
I have been on fluoxetine for 10 years and recently had an increase because I had a blip.
Soon got be right again and no side effects with it at all.
The Mirt I've been on for 18mths at various doses as and when needed.
Initially I get the spaced out effect but after a few days it goes.

daisie

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »

hi maryjane i have heard it is a cheap medication but looking at the dosage iv been taking for 5 years its not the right dosage for anxiety and depression theres no wonder it hasn't been lifting iv only been taking 50mg since the first time I started on it well im down to 30mg now im cutting down 10mg every week ill probly get down to the last 10mg then finish up going back up iv tried before with no luck iv got to try a bit harder this time x daisie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »

Daisie - why do you want to stop taking it?  Can you explain your 'symptoms' with reducing the dosage?  What's the worst that can happen?

In 2003 it took me about 2 days each time I reduced the dose when I was weaning off …….. to realise that the 'side effects' *would* go - each time the anxiety struck, nausea, shaking - which wore off within 36 hours.  It did take a lot of mental discipline to keep reminding myself from going into a real panic.  By the time I was on a 3 times a week low dose I was more in control.

Then I began the medication I now take. 

jess

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 05:42:19 PM »

I'm on citalapran.  Awful side effects for first week but fine after. I was on it a year ago but stupidly came off it as i went on hrt and didnt want to take both. Anxiety came  back with a vengence so I went back on it again and am now on both.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 08:17:06 PM »

I think it's difficult to find a regime which works which is why I cling to anything that helps, even if it isn't a complete 'cure'. 

thorntrees

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 08:36:01 PM »

My GP always says that if something is helping to make you feel well stay with it.When the drug I take for high blood pressure (atenolol) was considered outdated and GPs were encouraged to change patients to newer drugs her attitude was 'if it isn't broke don't fix it'.I'm also on citalopram  and like CLKD feel whilst its not perfect it works to keep me able to get on with life..

daisie

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 07:41:38 AM »

hi ckld,,the reason for me to stop taking it is because its caused more of a physical problem for me its not lifted depression or the anxiety iv also put 4 stone on over the last 5 years iv been on it  I know the menopause put weight on but this medication is well known for it being one of the side effects the zombie feelings are not good been walking about as though im in some kind of dream most of the time it does help with sleep but I need the depression to lift its been a long time  now I am getting the nausea and feeling on edge from cutting the doseage down but im trying to stick with it what antidepressant are you taking at the moment did you start it before you came off the other antidepressant x daisie

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »

You are between a rock and a hard place.  {{{{ daisie }}} I take Cipralex 5mg at night, 5mg in the morning, it's a 'sister' to the one you are on.  I stopped the other drug by weaning off, it took 9 weeks.  Some days I thought I would never feel well again because the start-up symptoms returned.  However ......... now that I have been on Cipralex although not a cure, it enables me.  The Beta-blocka eases the anxiety surges so that DH and I have a Life again.  I never thought I would have the courage to leave the house but now on 'good' days I can go shopping, into antique fairs - as long as I have an exit close by - but can't manage theatre/train/coach ......

daisie

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 06:45:06 AM »

hi clkd iv not heard of that one .going out is a problem for me as well since the menopause im ok when im not on my own but if I am I panic thinking somethings going to happen to me I cant even travel on a bus or any transport on my own it never bothered me before you are right when you say im in a hard place there just doesn't seem a way out I took 20mg last night of amitriptyline ill stay on that for a few days then cut to 10mg its good to know you have a life again with your dh since  feeling like this I don't have much time for mine all feelings have gone oh dear more like brother and sister now not lovers x daisie

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »

It took several years for me to accept my changes.  That was before peri-menopause  ::) ........... you must keep communicating with your DH so that he doesn't think he is at fault.

I prefer going out and about on my own so that I don't have to justify myself ......... it's not too bad with DH but with friends/relatives I'm always looking for a way out ..........

daisie

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 02:12:38 PM »

we do get on but I find it hard getting close in that sort of way the menopause as taken all the good feelings away but he does understand iv done too much mouning about it these past few years I think hes excepted the way I am now wished my old self would return and things were normal again may be one day I hope x daisie

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »

Daisie - you are unlikely to 'return' to being the 'same' person.   This time of Life is 'the change'.  Have you printed off the thread aimed at the men in our Life  ;)

Cuddles are important to me, I do not want Himself to decide that they are an open invitation to sex  >:(  :sigh:

daisie

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 06:51:19 AM »

morning clkd I had a look at the thread last night .theres some good information there iv not got a printer he can always read it off my lap top if he can be bothered yes I cant ever see being the same me again too much has happened in the years iv been suffering this awful menopause it sure does change you im totally a different person now to what I used to be x daisie

mummyof2

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 08:41:20 AM »

Hi. I'm 46 and have been peri for a few years now. My doc prescribed Flouxetine, one tablet alternate days and for me they do work, they have helped with palpitations & general well being. I haven't had any adverse reactions at all. I didn't feel I needed HRT as I was coping ok, just felt I needed a little help, if that makes sense, I also suffer from migraines quite badly so doc preferred to go this route first, they also help with migraines. However it was probably about a month before they started to kick in. Good luck.xxx :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3