Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Time to come off HRT?  (Read 3426 times)

sharon1958

Time to come off HRT?
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:42:05 PM »

I've been on HRT for 7 years now starting with patches and more recently Femiston and then Tibolone. I had some bleeding last year which was investigated privately and thankfully turned out to be nothing  hence the change in the type of HRT. I had some more bleeding a few months ago when I was on Femiston so was recommended to try Tibolone which has been OK and I haven't had a bleed now for a few months but my GP still referred me to be checked out. I went this morning (NHS) and after an ultrasound I had a punch biopsy of the cervix as they said the lining was quite thick. Being the world's biggest worrier I now can't relax until I get the results. I just wondered how common this problem is (thickening of the cervix) when on HRT. The gynae I saw also suggested that I come off HRT now. She kept telling me the risks etc whereas when I saw someone privately recently he was a firm believer in it - very confusing! I don't mind trying to come off it again but am dreading the flushes etc. Really not sure what to do now and would welcome any advice as I've been given in past on here.

Sharon

bramble

Re: Time to come off HRT?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:58:49 PM »

Sharon
All I can say is that I did stop HRT (over a period of 6 months so very slowly) and my symptoms did not return. Taz on the other hand has a different story. So it is very much a lottery - we are all different ..........
Bramble

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 02:28:40 PM »

I tried both ways and both ways put me back to square one within a couple of months. It's worth sticking out for it if you can because once you stop it can be difficult to get it represcribed especially if you go a year or more without as the first year on HRT is where the highest stroke risk occurs.  Of course you could always ask your GP whether you can restart if symptoms return and then give it a trial if you want to know whether you still need it.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »

I, like Taz,  have tried coming off it both ways. Cold turkey was awful. Had to go back on it 8 months later. 2nd attempt was more gradual, but same result. However, now on my 3rd attempt. This time very, very gradual reduction. Now using half of lowest dose patch. Yes, I get hot occasionally, maybe 3 times a day on average, but I'm sticking with it this time round as determined to get off it eventually.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 07:27:37 PM »

I started noticing after first week & by 3rd week it was full blown sweats, flushes etc.  I've been on this dose since beginning of year, but will stick with it as don't want to up the dose & go through the withdrawal all over again. At least I'm not getting the drenching sweats this time. Hot I can do, wringing wet no.

sharon1958

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 02:48:52 PM »

Thanks for the replies - it's always very helpful to read other people's experiences. I am wondering how I would go about weaning myself off the Tibolone gradually rather than going cold turkey. Should I perhaps start with taking a tablet every other day to start with and then every two days etc? They are too small to break in half.

Thanks again  :)

Sharon

Winnie

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 09:32:56 AM »

I was forced to go cold turkey from HRT due to surgical menopause, I can't say it's been easy in tears at first,
very moody but was given antidepressants which have helped a lot I also take, Sage and Vitamin E, Vitamin D and B's and Evening Primrose with Starflower.  I still get hot flushes but have decided to put up with them.
I have stopped Caffeine, cut out sugar and alcohol boring, but it has all helped me and all this advice has come from these wonderful ladies on this site who know what they are talking about much more than these doctors half of them to young to have gone through this yet. Also I think positive thinking also helps.
Good luck
Winnie  :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:49:52 AM by Winnie »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 09:49:56 AM »

Hi winnie - pleased to here you are coping. I think your comment about being 'positive' is a valid one. My version of this is - you need to be in a calmer, more stable stage in your life to be able to cope well with meno symptoms.  Sadly so many of us have quite stressful times around the menopause (and beyond), as modern life throws more at us in our 40s,50s and 60s so finding a calm time to come off HRT can be difficult.  To cope with the lack of sleep and all that meno brings and then focus on our diet and exercise regimes takes time. If you are holding down a job, dealing with elderly relatives and grown up children that need financial, moral and practical support - finding the time and energy to look after our own health and wellbeing can be very challenging.
We really, really need the medical profession to be 'on the ball' with our needs so we can cope with everything around us.
DG x