Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Fluoxetine and hot flushes  (Read 2909 times)

Lexia

Fluoxetine and hot flushes
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:08:50 PM »

Hi, I can't use HRT any more because I've had a focal migraine, doc said if I continue then the risk of stroke would be increased. I'm wondering if anyone has used antidepresants to help reduce hot flushes (that's what I've been prescribed) and if so did they help?? Or was something else more effective? I'm getting 25 plus a day and am struggling with the lack of sleep  :'( any help would be very much appreciated!

Dancinggirl

Re: Fluoxetine and hot flushes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:15:12 PM »

Hi Lexia and welcome to MM
I haven't used ADs for menopause symptoms but I know there are some out there who have and I believe many women do get relief. I think it is a bit trial and error (the same as with HRT) so you may need to try various ADs to find the one that works for you.  I have one colleague at work who is doing very well with Citalopram.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen - the section 'Prescribable non-HRT' will have the info you want.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:54:10 PM »

Hi Lexia - welcome from me too.

It's a shame that you are not allowed to continue with HRT but I'm not sure that your doc is right? I think that focal migraine is the old term for migraine with aura and if this is so then you are still allowed HRT as there is no link between this and stroke. There is info here from The Migraine Trust http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-menopause-midlife-and-migraine-10906. I hope you find it helpful.

I agree with what Dancinggirl has said about the anti depressant route.

Taz x

Lexia

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »

Thanks for info guys..I'll take the migraine article to show my GP  :)