Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vaginal Progesterone question  (Read 3666 times)

karin

Vaginal Progesterone question
« on: September 17, 2014, 02:06:39 PM »

Hello Ladies
Reading through some of the threads I understand that some of you use progesterone vaginally with what seems to be a lower rate of side effects? Is this something that is prescribed in the UK? and if so, what are the brand names please? I'm finishing my second month of Evorel sequi and the progesterone part is fierce! Sweats, very emotional, insomnia, bloating  and now, hair loss. I'm on the edge of giving up to be honest even though the oestrogen part is great. As a full time working women I cant operate properly like this. My GP is really lovely and has told me to come and see her, but I would like to gather as much info as poss. before I go please-many thanks all x

Hurdity

Re: Vaginal Progesterone question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »

Hi karin

The only progesterone ( ie the "natural" bio-identical one) licensed to be used as protection for the womb as part of HRT is Utrogestan (micronised progesterone).

Although this is designed to be taken orally in UK many of us use it vaginally, often with the support of our GP, some through private consultants, others through just doing it. I use it this way with the support of my GP. She prescribes it normally but I just take it vaginally.

Research seems to show that lower doses are needed to keep the lining thin when used vaginally - because it goes straight to the uterus where it is needed. However the French instructions (I have a translation of the leaflet) only suggest varying the route of delivery (ie to vaginal) if side effects are experienced from oral use, but at the same dose as when used orally.

Unfortunately the 200 mg oral dose has been discontinued, but bizarrely the same product is prescribed for fertility for vaginal use and the 200 mg dose is still available! I just got some more from the pharmacy at my GP practice today, and they just gave me double the amount of 100 mg capsules with the instruction just to double the quantity.

I use the 200 mg dose vaginally for 12 days every 6-8 weeks - instead of 200 mg orally every 4 weeks, and it seems to keep my lining thin, although once a year my GP recommended taking a course of norethisterone to make absolutely sure - which I did in August.

In the past I used Cyclogest - which is designed to be used vaginally or rectally - but it is not licensed as part of HRT, again I think it's usually a fertilty product. My GP prescribed 400 mg ( ie two capsules) per night for 11 days per 4 weeks, but I found it gave me migraines so I think the dose was too high. Eventually my bleeds stopped so probably the dose was high.

Good luck with your GP and let us know how you get on!

Hurdity x

karin

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 06:37:48 PM »

Thank you so much Hurdity, may I ask what difference it made to you and why you chose this route?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 07:27:41 PM »

Hi karin

From when I first started HRT I knew I wanted nil by mouth ie patches, and I didn't really know much about it apart from what I read on this website (this is back in 2007) - so the GP prescribed me Evorel sequi just like you.

However the progestogen didn't agree with me either and I kept getting bad 3-day migraines - sometimes while I was taking it, or for the few days pre-bleed after stopping the conti patches.

After discussing with my friend who was a fan of natural progesterone and attended the same GP practice I started on the Cyclogest as mentioned below which initially was much better but then that gave me migraines too after a few years. About 18 months after first joining this forum I discovered that women were using Utrogestan which my own GP wasn't aware of as she'd been prescribing Cyclogest for years, so I asked to change and have been using it ever since (2011).

The difference it makes is that any side effects that I have, I know are "natural" ones - because it is a bio-identical product, and not a synthetic progestogen, and I know that because it is as "natural" as you can get (same molecular structure) any risks will also be minimal - this is being borne out by research.

Also I use it vaginally because I still adhere to the nil-by-mouth approach and avoiding the liver first pass effect - where the liver has to metabolise the compound before it gets into the bloodstream - and then your body has to deal with excreting all the unwanted by-products of metabolism

I hope that helps explain my thinking - sorry - I'm a bit foggy at the moment

Hurdity x

karin

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:51:16 PM »

That made perfect sense thank you ;D