Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: when will it end??!  (Read 5503 times)

jess

when will it end??!
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:10:49 PM »

I was perimenopausal at about 52 then last period at about 53/54 (cant remember, thats another problem, the memory) and am 56 now. My flushes, itching, anxiety, aching etc started in ernest after my periods had stopped so in effect post menopausal really......what I am asking is, as I am post menopausal now, why am I still suffering? 2 to 3 yrs after my last period and still have symptoms. When does it end??  :-\

hotstff

Re: when will it end??!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:28:17 PM »

Hi Jess,
If you start taking HRT, the symptoms go away within two weeks.  Bliss  :)

(Don't believe any scare stories)  HRT can be a wonderful thing and carries the same amount of risks as any medication out there.  Have you ever read the LONG list of warnings on a leaflet about Ibuprofen or even Aspirin?
Anti-Depressants have a list of 'warnings' as long as your arm!

You get my point?
Women have been needlessly scaremongered over the last 10 years (GP's have been misinformed as well and aren't kept up to date).
I think there's about to be a Change - I hope.

hotstff

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:31:25 PM »

I got carried away.
Re - your question, When does it end?

Some women, it lasts less than 5 years, but I know of women that have suffered 20 years of menopausal symptoms, and some unfortunate women  - it never ends  :-\

(this is why HRT was invented - there's no need to suffer)

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »

HRT certainly helps, but I found symptoms didn't start fading until 4 weeks or so, but we're all different.

As for when it ends, again we're all different. Wish I knew.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 01:36:50 PM »

It depends on how awful/difficult the symptoms prove to be/not.  Have you read the menus, left of screen?  Have a browse round  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »

Symptoms tend to worsen for around two years after the last period before gradually, and by that it can be "very gradually" fading away over the next few years.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

Also - just to depress you even further - some symptoms for some women never go away - because post-menopause ie the state of oestrogen deficiency - lasts for ever!

However on the bright side as hotstff said - HRT should do wonders for how you feel!

Hurdity x

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 05:06:26 PM »

Sorry don't agree with that menopause is a natural event, and many many women produce enough estrogen from their ovaries and adrenal glands to feel well after menopause, it is not a estrogen deficiency, but a lowered estrogen state, just not enough for for the body to be fertile any more.

Of cause there are women who do need HRT, especially women who have had a full hysterectomy. 

It is silly to frighten women into thinking they are going to feel awful for the rest of their lives if they don't take HRT.

HRT should be available for women who need it or want to take, but not every woman does and they can be healthy and happy without it.

jess

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 05:31:27 PM »

I am actually on hrt and have been for nearly a year. Yes, it stopped the flushes and aching body (to some degree) but not the anxiety. So I went on AD's as well, a week ago. Someone has suggested I change my hrt instead. I suppose what I am asking is, when should I come off the hrt? How will I know I don't need it anymore? (My doc said I mustn't be on it longer than one year) .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 05:38:14 PM »

If you have felt better on the current HRT regime then stick with it.  Go to your GP sooner rather than later and ask how he expects you to manage if you have to stop taking it?  Would he suggest that someone stops other medications that they benefit from?

Also ADs take a while to 'kick in' so I would continue for at least 3 months in order for your brain to get used to them …….

Menopause of course is a 'natural' progression of female ageing. 

jess

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 07:58:26 PM »

Sorry, 5 yrs not one yr lol  :P

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »

You wont know until you come off it Jess and see whether your symptoms return or not. I've tried three times over the past six years to come off but each time the symptoms eventually return to what they were when I first started. I've been off a year this time but am seeing the GP on the 26th to try to get her to re-prescribe it for me as I'm still getting drenching sweats every half hour or so. I'm 60 and it can be difficult to get it after this age.

Taz x

Dandelion

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 12:16:11 PM »

Hi Jess

I am on femoston 2/10 and I still get hot flushes and need a fan in bed.
It works for most women though.
I don't honestly know why some unlucky women still get symptoms even when on hrt.

jess

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 06:03:52 PM »

Is there any truth in the story that going on hrt only delays the menopause?