Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Getting help when there is no phone signal.  (Read 6373 times)

Ju Ju

Getting help when there is no phone signal.
« on: September 15, 2014, 11:09:04 AM »

I was unaware until last week that if you cannot a phone signal, you can get through to emergency services by ringing 112. The phone will locate any available signal and your location can be pinpointed.

I had opted not to accompany my family on a walk in the Snowdonia mountains, as I did not feel well, as I had had a relatively milder attack of intense pain earlier. ( believed to be caused by gall stones, waiting for a scan). While they went off I stayed in the car in layby. The pain came back with a vengeance and I was on my own for at least an hour. I couldn't get a signal and was unable to get help. When my family came back, my daughters partner, who knew about this, phoned and the fast responder ambulance arrived within minutes.

I hope this helps anyone, who finds the self in a similar situation. I wonder why this is not widely known.

Taz2

Re: Getting help when there is no phone signal.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:21:18 AM »

Thanks for posting this Ju Ju. It's a brilliant service and works throughout Europe too. I have it stored under Emergency Number as I'm worried I might forget what the number actually is in an emergency!

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 11:30:50 AM »

I did know but had forgotten, thanks for the heads-up!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »

Just wondered - did you try 999 as this is supposed to work as well without a signal? Sometimes, though, both numbers will still fail if there isn't an alternative network to pick up the call. There is a way you can register your mobile phone number so that if there isn't a strong enough signal for voice calls you can text your message. A friend told me about it  -  she actually lives in Snowdonia and when her husband was ill she was concerned that he may have needed help while they were out of range. There is a Snowdonia site which gives out details I think.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »

Perhaps Mountain Rescue services would know that info Taz?

Taz2

Scampi

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 07:10:46 AM »

It's worth a try if your phone is showing no signal, but it will only work if there is a provider in the area - if you are in an area with no mobile signal at all (from any network), it won't 'magically' connect you.  Some phones will display 'Emergency Calls Only' when your own provider has no signal, but another signal is available.