Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: old fashioned bread pudding  (Read 23605 times)

honeybun

Re: old fashioned bread pudding
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 06:14:57 PM »

I really don't like suet and only use the vegetable stuff .....and I'm not vegetarian.

Suet is raw beef or mutton fat, especially the hard fat found around the loins and kidneys. It melts at about 21°C (70°F). It is a saturated fat. The primary use of suet is to make tallow in a process called rendering, which involves melting and extended simmering, followed by straining, cooling and usually a repetition of the entire process.Unlike suet, tallow can be stored for extended periods without refrigeration. It is used to make soap, for cooking, as a bird food, and was once used for making candles.The type sold in supermarkets is dehydrated suet.Vegetarian suet is readily available in supermarkets in the United Kingdom. It is made from fat such as palm oil combined with rice flour. It resembles shredded beef suet, and is used as a substitute in recipes.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 06:26:08 PM »

Grandma used 'trex'

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 06:38:36 PM »

Yep see previous post.

Honeyb
x

kerrieann

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 07:47:23 PM »

thats lovely babyjane we seem to through things away so easily these days and its such a shame, hang onto that book, i have my nans ration book which i treasure x

honeybun, thanks for the info on the suet, i just looked and the one i used was actually the veg one, iam beginning to think its this fan oven, i must dig the book out which came with it and see what it says re the temperature and timings, as a few things seem to be coming out a bit dry and i thought it was changing from gas oven to electric. x

Kerrie

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 10:05:56 AM »

I'm still waiting to get used to my fan oven six years on. Still can't bake a decent cake in it. Horrible thing!

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 10:14:17 AM »

Why bother Taz M&S lemon cake is to die for ;)

kerrieann

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »

silverlady , i sometimes feel like giving up with baking and like you say silverlady, buy shop cake, but they always seem dry to me, i bought a coffee cake a few weeks ago from strecos extra special range, but even that seemed dry  :-\
I do wonder if the majority buy cakes or make them at home ?

Morwenna

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 10:29:14 PM »

I never bake cakes as I'm the only one at home who would eat them. Don't buy them either! Not whole ones anyway, I do have the occasional muffin. On the subject of waste - why not put bread in the freezer? Then it won't go stale and need to be made into bread pudding! My grandma's bread pudding was a real stomach churner it has to be said! Soggy bread floating in warm milk with a few sultanas and an oily covering of margarine!  :sick02:  ;D

purplenanny

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 10:56:51 PM »

:sick02: yuk! sounds disgusting!

babyjane

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 04:33:25 PM »

I bake because it is the only way I can be sure of what has gone into the cake. I don't like things with e numbers and additives in.

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »

I don't bake in the summer but when winter comes I start again.
I love baking. Got a good few tried and trusted recipes

Boiled fruit loaf...sound horrid but is never dry.
Shortbread.
Scones
Pancakes.
Cookies.

I have got to grips with my fan oven a good few years ago.

My kids used to love coming in from school many years ago to the smell of home baking.

Honeyb
x
Pages: 1 [2]