Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: old fashioned bread pudding  (Read 23604 times)

kerrieann

old fashioned bread pudding
« on: September 15, 2014, 01:07:50 PM »

hi ladies, was fed up of throwing away stale bread as there are just the 2 of us now, so decided to make bread pudding, it turned out horrible  :(
I found an old recipe on the internet which contained suet, and it sounded very much like my nans recipe, which was amazing she is no longer with us and how i wish i had kept some of her recipes
So i was wondering if any of you who still have elderly parents or grand parents still with you would they have a good recipe for bread pudding ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: old fashioned bread pudding
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 02:01:18 PM »

I would throw the bread  ;D - Mum used to make bread pudding and it was stodgy in the middle and burnt (lovely) round the edges, guess who got to eat the edges  >:(

kerrieann

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »

clkd,trying to be less wasteful here  ;D   i loved my nans baking, no measuring just did it and i so wish i got her to write things down,  rock cakes, fruit cake and pastry that just melted in your mouth  :)
Ive tried making pastry many times and its just not the same. 

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »

My Maternal Grandma began us a recipe book in her hand-writing when we got engaged.  I also have her B&B records.

Have you a WI in your area, someone would know a good recipe for bread pudding.  Or the local school?

kerrieann

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »

what a lovely idea from your grandma,  didnt think of the wi, dont know to one in the area but iam going to see if they have a website thanks

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 03:05:26 PM »

This is the one I use from Mary Berry

Ingredients

150g/5oz mixed sultanas and raisins

75g/3oz caster sugar

1 lemon or orange, finely grated zest

½ tsp mixed spice

8 thin slices white bread, crusts removed

100g/4oz butter, melted

For the custard

2 free-range eggs

300ml/½ pint double cream

150ml/¼ pint milk

2 tbsp demerara sugar

Preparation method

You will need an ovenproof dish about 2½-3 pint/1.4-1.7 litres volume (18 x 23 x 5 cm/7 x 9 x 2 in).

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and use some of the melted butter to grease the dish.

Combine the dried fruit, sugar, lemon zest and spice together in a bowl and toss to mix well.

Cut each bread slice into three strips. Take sufficient slices to cover the base of the dish and dip one side of each one in melted butter. Lay them in the dish, buttered-side down. Sprinkle with half the dried fruit mixture. Repeat the layering, laying the bread strips buttered-side up. Lay the third and final layer of bread strips on top, buttered-side up.

For the custard, beat together the eggs, cream and milk in a bowl and pour it over the pudding. Sprinkle with demerara sugar, and then leave to stand for about one hour if time allows.

Bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until the top is golden-brown and crisp and the pudding slightly puffed up. Serve hot, or there are some who insist that it is delicious cold!

Works a treat every time.
She says its her mother's recipe.

Honeyb
x

kerrieann

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 03:34:43 PM »

hb,  thanks does the butter replace the suet then ?  that is more less the same as i used however mine turned out very dry, but i have been wondering about my oven, as i have changed to a fan assisted oven and things seem to be over cooking, i didnt think there was much difference in the timing but maybe there is and i am cooking things for too long  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »

Yes it does. I have never used suet in it because I don't like the texture and it does make things dry.

I always lower the temperature a bit when I bake in my fan oven. They are supposed to give you an even temperature but this is my third and they all have hot spots.
Really annoying when you want an even bake.
If I am doing a fruit cake or anything that needs a bit longer I cover it with some tinfoil for the last half hour.

Honeyb
x

Witches Cat

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 04:09:38 PM »

Isn't that recipe for "Bread and Butter" pudding?  Bread pudding as I knew it as a kid did indeed have suet in it, plus mixed fruit, and milk to make it bind together. I think Gran might have put an egg into the milk too, and after it was well mushed together to make a thick paste almost, it was pressed into a low flat tin, brown sugar was sprinkled on top. Then it was baked. as it cooled it was cut into oblongs and stored it us kids hadn't scoffed it, in a tin (old biscuit tin lined with greaseproof if I remember rightly.)
Just dug out my "Mrs Beetons cook book" and the recipe.... (from her little red book, my edition 1974.)
8oz stale bread, 4oz currants, raisins or sultanas, 2oz brown sugar, 2oz finely chopped suet, 1oz chopped peel, 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice, 1 egg and a little milk.

Break bread into small pieces and soak in a little water for at least half an hour. Strain, and squeeze as dry as poss, beat with a fork to knock the lumps out and mix with all dry ingredients. mix in the egg and enough milk to allow it to drop easily from the spoon. Bake in a greased tin in a warm oven, gas 3 or 335 deg F. for about an hour.  Dredge with sugar when baked. 

Wish I had some stale bread now...      ::)

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 04:24:14 PM »

<wave> Witches Cat …… I think that's what Mum would put in front of us  :-X  ;D

My Grandma was Victorian and was 'in service' most of her recipes were in spoonfuls rather than using a weighing machine.

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 04:53:35 PM »

Here we go from mum's Radiation Cookbook 1953

Baked bread pudding
12oz stale bread, 3oz currants, 3oz raisins, 4.5oz sugar, 3oz butter or margarine melted, 1-2 eggs, grated nutmeg & lemon rind.
Soak bread for 1 hour in cold water and squeeze it. Mix with all other ingredients. Turn into greased pie dish and bake 180c for 1hr 30 mins.

Boiled bread pudding
8oz stale bread, 3oz flour, 4oz brown sugar, nutmeg, 1tsp baking powder, 3oz chopped suet, 2oz currants, 1oz raising, 1 egg, little milk.
Soak bread in cold water 1 hour and squeeze. Add all other ingredients and mix. Put in well greased basin cover with buttered paper and steam for 2 hours.

Sorry witches cat that's almost the same as yours  Should have scrolled back before posting  ::).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:56:21 PM by babyjane »

kerrieann

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 05:10:50 PM »

thanks for all your help ladies  :)
i am sure i will be able to re create some of those lovely memories and i do realize that some of them are probably not very healthy these days but i believe in everything in moderation.
With regards to my fan assisted oven i am beginning to think that i need to either lower the temperature or the cooking times as a few things have been a bit dry .

kerrieann

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 05:13:45 PM »

Babyjane, ive never heard of the radiation cookbook but i imagine it to be fascinating i love to look at old fashioned recipes and give them a go
kerrie

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »

However, my grandparents went to work with bread and dripping etc..  But they walked/worked differently to modern day necessity. So sponge pudding with treacle/syrup is OK in small amounts  ;)

babyjane

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »

CLKD dripping toast was a regular for Sunday tea time when I was a child.

kerrieann The Radiation Cookery Book was brought out to complement the new 'Radiation' New World Gas Cooker which was mum's first cooker in 1953. The book came with the cooker and I still have it 61 years later, very battered with yellowish pages but hey, it was my mum's  :love:
Pages: [1] 2