Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Feeling Zonked out after lunch and needing Siesta  (Read 4899 times)

Henrietta

Feeling Zonked out after lunch and needing Siesta
« on: September 14, 2014, 04:04:16 PM »

Ok so I get up early for work at 5.00, run around constantly until about 1.00 PM, eat lunch and more often or not want to sleep away my free time in the afternoon which is driving me potty.
I'm sure it's to do with Endocrine things but does anyone have any tips to make better use of my precious time apart from sleeping?

Joyce

Re: Feeling Zonked out after lunch and needing Siesta
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 04:08:35 PM »

I'm not surprised you need a siesta by the afternoon if you've been running around for 8 hours.  If you have one does it affect your ability to sleep at night?

Only thing I can think of is doing something physical like a trip to gym, swimming, even going for a walk.

Henrietta

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:13:39 PM »

Maybe I just expect too much from myself- I am never sure. I do the gym, just started swimming and go dog walking every day - also full time carer for Dad when I finish work, not to mention all the usual jobs plus huge garden.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 04:26:29 PM »

Do you have a really big lunch ?  If you do then that could be the reason you are sleepy. You could try having something in the middle of your shift and then a lighter lunch.

Of course it could be an age thing  ;D ;D.

I'm one to talk. By 7pm I'm done for the day.....and I don't work  ;D

Honeyb
x

Henrietta

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:34:04 PM »

Yes I do break all the rules- no breakfast and big lunch.
I refuse to put it down to age-loads of people older than me seem to manage to stay awake all day.  ::)

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 07:16:15 PM »

Er - Perhaps they don't have a big lunch....

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 07:17:50 PM »

A large meal makes you sleepy. Maybe start your day with porridge...It's slow release. Fruit mid morning and a lighter lunch.

The body diverts blood to the stomach to help digestion and that can cause you to feel sleepy.

Honeyb
x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »

"Breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen, and dine like a pauper" is how we are supposed to eat (depending on our lifestyle too of course) ie meals get progressively smaller thoughout the day.

I agree about slow release foods. No need necessarily to eat as soon as you rise - but perhaps a bit more like what farmers do. They get up v early, do a whole lot of physical work and sit down for massive breakfast about 10 am ( not necessarily having to go that far if you are out at work!). Well they used to anyway!

Also if you are tired - how about a power nap - it always works for me. I never sleep in the day but now and again get exhausted. I also did this (years ago) when I was pregnant. Sit down in the afternoon in an armchair. Set the timer for 15 mins ( or however long you want to rest for) and then relax and close my eyes. I would invariably drift off - not quite asleep but enough to be rested - when the timer went off I would open my eyes ( maybe feel a bit groggy at first) and then up I got and off I went. Within a few mins I would be absolutely fine and my energy levels would return. I recommend that to anyone who has this problem!!!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 08:06:05 PM »

You get up at 5.00. You work. You've done a day's chores before the rest of us open our eyes  ;D

Enjoy your sleep.  Listen to your Body!

Henrietta

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 08:26:05 PM »

Thank you all for those suggestions. I guess the porridge bit is hard to fit in because I don't get home until it's time to get lunch.
I try listrening to my body and it goes to sleep at 1.00 PM or half past and wakes up around 4.00! I could try setting alarm for just 15 minutes but I kind of lie down and takes me that long to drift off. Also I haven't really got a comfy armchair so I lie down on the bed and that is fatal.
I will try and take on board some of these suggestions- keep them coming.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 11:43:03 AM »

When I was undergoing radiation treatment I had to go to bed every afternoon.  My cat would wait half-way up the stairs if I was late going to bed  ;D - by 1.30 he was waiting  :D …… then we would cuddle up - 2 cats and a dog tucked into the small of my back, we all slept really well and were then ready for our evening activities.

Listen to your body!

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 01:04:40 PM »

I have photos of my husband zonked out with a toddler curled up with him, after an ' early turn' as a policeman. He was a young and healthy man. He also ate sensibly. Who do you think you are? Super Women? Treat yourself with kindness. Eat breakfast ( I was advised to eat an egg and one piece of toast. Keeps me going till lunch without snacking.) and lunch and REST!

Rowan

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »

On the Continent everyone has a siesta in the afternoon so if you can why not

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 03:16:26 PM »

I agree - go with what your body wants - although it's a bit difficult when you're at work - bosses tend to frown on it. I've never been able to sleep in the afternoon or early evening. It was the one thing I was looking forward to after my hysterectomy as you are told that for the first few weeks you will definitely have to go to bed or a sleep in the afternoon. I went to bed but sleep never came. Felt quite cheated!!  ;D

SL you are right about the continent but they also tend to stay up much later than here don't you think? Something to do with those long, warm evenings. Not sure what time school starts.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 05:32:36 PM »

They begin work/school earlier on the Continent, have a long lunch then siesta …… and shops/cafes/pubs  are open later.