Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Feeling Achy and stiff  (Read 5254 times)

Henrietta

Feeling Achy and stiff
« on: September 14, 2014, 04:08:28 PM »

Hi
I've posted my details as part of my signature to save repeating my background.
Post hyster I've been achy and creaky sometimes feeling like 110 instead of 49.
I've tried exercising, tried Calcium, tried Glucosamine, tried Omega Olis, tried Magnesium, tried Menopace, Tried magnets
Nothing seems to completely eliminate it . Magnesium is probably the best of the bunch.
Does anyone have any more bright ideas?

Taz2

Re: Feeling Achy and stiff
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »

Hi Henrietta - I wonder if you've had your vitamin D levels checked? My symptoms were similar to yours and my doc ran a blood test for my level. I was around half of what I was supposed to be which isn't dangerous but could mean lack of energy and aching muscles. She advised me to try a spray which she uses herself which you can get from the major health food stores and possibly other places. It's called Better Me Multivit (complete multi vitamin oral spray). It's absorbed much more efficiently than tablets apparently. You can't overdose on vitamin D so it may be worth a try. I spend a lot of my time indoors -rarely getting the fifteen minutes of sunshine on forearms and (bare) face each day which we need - well who does in this country??  You can read about it here http://www.patient.co.uk/health/vitamin-d-deficiency-including-osteomalacia-and-rickets-leaflet

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 05:24:59 PM »

Sadly I don't think any amount of oestrogen will stop the aches and pains as time goes by.
I'm not on full HRT now and I've definitely noticed I'm more achy and stiff.
I did lots of housework and gardening yesterday and today I'm really, really stiff and achey. I do try to do some stretching regularly - a bit of yoga and I walk a great deal with the dog.  I just have to keep moving or I seize up.
I do take Omega 3 oils and I'm taking menopause vitamins every day - they seem to have everything in them so I hope they are helping. In winter I take extra Vitamin D. I'm afraid there are quite few days when I have to take ibuprofen or aspirin to get me through the day.
For me, I think walking is the best way to relieve the aches.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 05:26:09 PM »

How much Vit D do you take Dancinggirl?

Taz x

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 05:28:27 PM »

I was quite interested in that vitamin spray Taz2 so I looked it up. It would have been good if it hadn't got iodine in it. I was advised some time ago by my endocrinologist that thyroid patients need to avoid preparations containing iodine. But thanks for the recommendation.
I have to say that since I have been having chiropractic treatment every 8 weeks my aching is much less of a problem.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 05:46:45 PM »

That's a shame - thanks for pointing that out though - it wasn't something I had thought about.

Taz x

Henrietta

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 06:38:33 PM »

Thanks Taz- I will give that spray a try. I did buy some Vit D- forgot to add that to my long list but to be fair I gave up after 3 or 4 days because I was rattling with supplements. Missed them all for a few days now and haven't really noticed mch difference :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »

It may well be that you would benefit from a higher dose of oestrogen as you are still young.

You could either take extra tablets or better still go for one of the transdermal methods ie patch or gel so that you can increase the dose without it having to go through the digestive system. Elleste solo 2 mg is only a medium dose.

Also as you had a total hysterectomy it may well be that your testosterone levels are low. This is mentioned here (scroll down): http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php

Also some info here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/testosterone.php

You may need to ask for referral to a menopause clinic as many GPs do not prescribe this although it is more usual after a total hysterectomy. Other symptoms (of low testosterone) include severe tiredness/lack of energy and low libido.

Hurdity x

Henrietta

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 08:28:53 PM »

Hi Hurdity
Many thanks- that is very interesting. I could go back to GP again- I certainly suffer from being too tired- see my other post on afternoon zonk.

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »

Supplements are a day in year out thing continuous.  Stopping for a few days won't make you feel any different.

The body is continually renewing itself

120 Days - NEW Red Blood Cells
   90 Days - NEW Skeleton
   60 Days - NEW Brain Cells, Tissue
   49 Days - NEW Bladder
   45 Days - NEW Liver - NEW DNA Cell Material
   30 Days - NEW Hair - NEW Skin
     5 Days - NEW Stomach Lining

AS you get older this process slows down, that is why it is so important to have a healthy diet with all the food groups and supplements, eg antioxidants.

I started with NHS supplements when a baby,, and continuing up to now and have benefited.

Here is some interesting in

http://www.gp-training.net/pal/therapy/hrtselfhelp.htm

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:01:29 AM by silverlady »