Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sprains healing  (Read 7115 times)

dulciana

Sprains healing
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:29:21 PM »

Has anyone experienced a sprain taking ages to heal completely?  I sprained my ankle two and a half years ago and it still isn't right.  It's fine to walk on now, but often in the evening it's got a bit sore again.  I'm certainly putting it through its paces every day - daily practising involves the feet to play the pedals - but discomfort two and a half years on??  Maybe there are exercises I could do to help it on its way, but I don't know which ones I should be doing.  And would they put it away for ever, or does age stop the healing process?

Dancinggirl

Re: Sprains healing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 08:24:53 AM »

Hi dulciana
In a way I think you answered your own question. As an ex professional dancer my old strains and injuries are definitely coming back to bite - I have to manage my joints very carefully.  Sprains usually involve damaging ligaments and they often heal tighter and so can be prone to further pain and problems. Of course, post meno, the joints and ligaments are oestrogen deprived and even on HRT it can't be the same as when we are young.
I would seek the advice of a physiotherapist or a good osteopath for stretching and strengthening exercises to support and prevent further problems. A dancer or sports person always warms up before class or practise sessions and maybe you need to do the same.  There may also be an element of repetitive strain which, again, can be improved by looking at the way you do these actions and perhaps adjusting things a little.
hope that helps  Dg x

dulciana

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 07:27:56 PM »

That's brilliant advice, Dancinggirl.   Thank you very much.   Musicians are not exactly famous for warming up before a performance, probably because we sit down to play.   I think I need to look into this.
 :thankyou:

oldsheep

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »

Dulciana, I sprained my ankle very badly a few years ago. It took ages to heal and is still weak. The physio told me to get a small, hard ball, like a tennis ball or slightly smaller and put my foot on it on the floor and roll it back and forwards. Apparently that strengthens the ligaments. HTH. Not a quick fix sadly

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 06:20:01 PM »

Musicians are not exactly famous for warming up before a performance, probably because we sit down to play. 

I don't know what to suggest.
Orchestral players can (and do) sidle off before a concert and do bits of scales and difficult bits..
Bit difficult with the Organ.
Would a piano be any help at all to get your head into things?

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 06:31:51 PM »

Sounds like you need to do some physical warm ups as an athlete would do. A visit to a good physiotherapist, chiropractor or osteopath would be an excellent investment.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 07:34:21 PM »

I badly sprained my wrist over 30 years ago. I was working in an industrial kitchen at the time.
Even now I am aware of a weakness. I never looked after it and I am still paying for it.

Some stretching exercises would help. Have you tried a support bandage...I don't mean trussed up like a turkey.. A soft one that would just give a little support. You can buy tube shaped one's that you just pull on.

Honeyb
x

dulciana

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 07:50:46 PM »

Oldsheep, Limpy, Ju Ju and Honeybun - thanks so much for all these really good ideas, which I'll look into.  I'm also wondering about Pilates, which I think stretches and strengthens muscles. 
 :thankyou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 09:10:12 PM »

A sprain often takes longer to heal than a fracture.  How is your footwear?  Would a 'raise' help to stop you turning the ankle over and giving extra support?  There are many muscles, ligaments etc. around the ankle and lower leg.  Physio.?