Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: SAGE- anyone tried this for hot flushes?  (Read 4771 times)

hanging.on.in.there

SAGE- anyone tried this for hot flushes?
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:50:31 AM »

I'm wondering whether to buy some- any experiences or recommendations? Thanks.
I'm on thyroid tablets too, if that makes a difference at all- any interactions?

Jmb

Re: SAGE- anyone tried this for hot flushes?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »

Hi I tried sage (Vogel) tablets. Sadly they didn't work for me.

hanging.on.in.there

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 10:08:44 AM »

Thanks for that- how long were you on them ?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »

I've tried so many herbs and remedies and nothing has worked except HRT.
If you can afford acupuncture, I've heard many ladies find it helps.  Dg x

libby1

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »

I take sage everyday and it's definitely helped hot flushes and mood swings. I stopped taking them and  the flushes and mood swings came back.
Worth a try  ;)

Libby
x

justaboutcoping

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »

Hi

I'm taking sage tablets at the moment and they've definitely reduced severity and number of flushes - effectiveness does seems to wear off after time for me though. Although sage has helped the flushes along with the other symptoms  I have mean I'm about to try HRT :)

Sage definitely worth a try - not sure about with thyroid tablets though - sorry... x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 09:15:22 PM »

If alternative remedies worked they would be provided by the NHS!

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 09:45:15 PM »

St Johns Wort does and its not on the NHS.

They do have their place especially if you can't tolerate standard medication.

Honeyb
x

Melbury

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 12:29:18 PM »

I could never understand why all of the natural remedies worked for a while and then tailed right off.  I tried all sorts of herbs and things - even the magnet in the pants (which did work fine for six months or so), but eventually went onto Oestrogel.

Jmb

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 03:33:12 PM »

I tried sage for a few months. I tried lots of alternative remedies but nothing worked for me unfortunately.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »

Melbury - Many women report that herbs etc.do seem to work for a while through the peri stage when the hormones are fluctuating. I think it is assumed that as the oestrogen levels drop then the meno symptoms increase so any minor relief the herbs have given simply stops.
Sadly I have spent a fortune on herbs and remedies to no avail. 
I have been doing some research about phytoestrogen (Isoflavines) and there does seem to be some benefits for the heart and bones and it's supposed to reduce flushes - so I have increased my soya intake and I'm also taking a Red Clover supplement. If anything, my flushes have got worse but this summer has been very hot and humid so it's difficult to tell. I'm keen to look after my bones so a few extra flushes from the phytoestrogen is worth putting up with.
I think we should always use herbs etc. with caution as they are drugs really - not natural as many like to think.  Oestrogen is natural - our bodies produce it for a good part of our lives. Not that long ago the menopause wasn't really a problem as you were lucky to get to 50 years old anyway.
DG x

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 04:11:13 PM »

My sister's friend uses sage and thinks it's great. She is mid 60s now and still flushing a bit. She was on HRT for a long while but decided to come off and sage is the thing that she finds helps her.

We are all different I guess.

I have used herbal remedies for years and years and also homeopathic. I know that will probably cause an outcry as to how pointless homeopathy is but....I can only speak from my personal experience.

My daughter had dreadful baby teeth and kept having abscesses. Dentists are reluctant to remove too many baby teeth as the mouth shrinks and then the adult teeth are crowded. My dentist had been on a few alternative courses and said to try a homeopathic remedy called Hepar sulph to treat the abscess. She was not keen on ABs all the time. So we tried it at the first sign of trouble and it worked. Don't know how or why but it did.

I am lucky in that we have a great alternative practitioner near us. Jan de  Vries. He is very well known and gives great advice......for free. So no pressure to buy.

That's just what I have found but I do agree with checking out what you are taking and how it interacts with other supplements or medication.

It does have its place......after all most of our modern-day medicine is derived originally from herbs and plants and science is increasingly turning back to the natural world for answers.

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 04:48:48 PM »

HB Jan Di Vries come to our health shop too, have never been able to get an appointment with him for OH as so many people want to see him, have read a lot of his books, he studied with Alfred Vogel, the famous Swiss naturopath, I have some of his books too. “The Nature Doctor“.  is the one I still dig into.

http://www.jandevrieshealth.co.uk/history.asp
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:35:29 PM by silverlady »

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 06:44:35 PM »

It's a pity you have not been able to see him SL.
He is a lovely man....very pronounced accent.
He has two shops in my area and also his main consulting rooms. A consult is free which is great.
He also has a help line which is staffed by really knowledgeable ladies who advise and can also pass you on to a mail order facility.

So many people in my area go to him for help.

Honeyb
x