Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: The progesterone dilema  (Read 3511 times)

Dancinggirl

The progesterone dilema
« on: September 13, 2014, 05:02:23 PM »

Hi everyone.
As many of you know I am using the Estring for local oestrogen treatment for my VA.  You replace the Estring every 3 months but once you have popped it in you forget about it which is great.   I've just ordered my third one from the GP so I've been using it for 6 months - so far it's the best option of me.
I think I, sort of, posed this question before but put forward a 'Ring' as a oestrogen and progesterone HRT treatment.
It occurred to me that this 'ring' could be a good way to deliver just progesterone.  My daughter is using a contraceptive 'ring' - it looks the same as the Estring I am using but has different types of hormones for contraception. Many women use the Mirena as a way to deliver progesterone directly to the area that needs it which can bring fewer side effects.  Many women also use Utrogestan vaginally because, again, it brings fewer side effects.  This leads me to think that a vaginal 'ring', like the Estring, that slowly releases progesterone locally where needed could be a good option.  Many women don't like the idea of the Mirena, I've used it and I was initially not keen on the idea - having it fitted was extremely painful, however in the end I had few problems for the four years I had it.  The problem with the Mirena is that it feels as though you are stuck with it even if you don't like it very much and I understand women's reluctance to have one.  The advantage of a progesterone ring would be that you have more control - there would be less systemic absorption so possibly fewer side effects - and you then just use oestrogen in gel or patch form.
As the technology is already in place, and as it is progesterone that is usually the problem part of HRT, a progesterone 'Ring' could be a good way to tailor HRT more effectively.

Just to mention one other thing that baffles me: Dydrogesterone (which is in Femoston) that is closer to bio-identical progesterone than many other forms, (apart from Utrogestan) is not available as a separate pill. As Femoston suits so many women surely it would be a good idea to have Dydrogesterone on it's own to be used with oestrogen patches or gel for those who want this kinder progesterone with a more transdermal delivery of oestrogen?

I think we all want a more tailored approach to HRT and I know it is argued that there are already plenty of options but there are definitely gaps when it comes to options with progesterone.
Your thought ladies?  Dg x

Rowan

Re: The progesterone dilema
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 05:24:47 PM »

DG I read on another thread that you have gained weight on your hips and waist after coming off HRT, it could well be that the estring could be causing this, if you go over to Hystersisters there is a thread where they are talking about gaining weight on the estring.

I know the weigh gain has concerned you, at least this could explain this to some extent.

http://treato.com/Estring,Weight+Gain/?a=s
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:33:06 PM by silverlady »

Dancinggirl

Re: The progesterone dilema
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 07:22:46 PM »

Thank you silverlady - I'm not really worried about my weight - I have actually lost weight - I just accept that oestrogen deficiency brings it's side effects - one of which is the loss of muscle and the redistribution of fat.
I had a gap from using HRT from age 49 - 53 and during that time the fat seemed to sit on my waist and hips just as it is now. When I went back on HRT I got my waistline back.
I came off systemic HRT last autumn and though I have coped quite well i simply don't have the energy I had on HRT and my joints have really stiffened up - getting going in the morning is really hard work.
So little oestrogen is absorbed systemically with local oestrogen treatment I doubt I can blame the Estring - sadly it's 'that middle age spread'. I think it is also hereditary - my mother has never had any oestrogen treatment (despite a premature menopause in her late 30s) - she is very slim but all her fat sits around the top of her hips and waist - I've got the same shape as her!
As the Estring is the only treatment that seems to be helping my VA, if I am getting a little bloating around my middle it's a small price to pay to stay comfortable. 

Stellajane - how interesting about Dydrogesterone - why is the UK so restricted in what it offers? Let's hope the new recommendations coming next year will also open up the choices.
DG x