Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan 200mg supply problem?  (Read 5652 times)

Stellajane

Utrogestan 200mg supply problem?
« on: September 08, 2014, 07:13:45 PM »

Boots have told me today (for the second month in a row) that they can't get Utrogestan 200mg due to supply problems. Has anyone else had this?

Libralady

Re: Utrogestan 200mg supply problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »

Yes I also had a problem with boots a few months ago. I had to end up going back to my doctor and getting a new prescription, took it yo another chemist and they got it for me no problem....then boots called me to day they had got the utrogestan back in

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »

I always have a supply in my drawer as I don't take it as often as I am prescribed it. Are you able to get it at all ie 100 mg? If not and you are running out, do pm me if you like, with your address and I can send you some to tide you over!

Hurdity x

San Fairy Ann

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:10:09 PM »

Hi everyone,
I have not posted for a long time but regularly browse around to keep myself up to speed with any developments.
Stellajanes's post struck a chord with me as I was changed to utrogestan 200mg a few months back and it was a real revelation! After several years of struggling to get on with other types of progesterone I was thrilled to find that Utrogestan 200mg suited me fine.  However, when I went to get my new prescription filled about  six weeks ago, I found I  couldn't get it any where  :'(  I ended up having to get another prescription for the progesterone part of my hrt, unfortunately the gp gave me provera again to go with my patches. As soon as I start taking them I'm back to hot flushes and night sweats and generally turn into a real witch!  I've been googling on and off to see why there was a problem with supply and today I found a couple of articles that said that Bestins healthcare are discontinuing Utrogestan 200mg due to lack of demand. Sorry but I'm a cream tea girl not an IT girl, so don't know how to post the links  ;D
I'm gutted! I'm also hoping that my gp will let me have double of the 100mg next time as I can't put up with the side effects of provera much longer.  Hope this info helps anyone who is having difficulty getting the 200mg.
San fairyann x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »

Thank-you for posting this San Fairy Ann and alerting us to the problem.

This is appalling!

All the hard work we are doing on here promoting bio-identical HRT and now look what's happening.
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/19805
This is what is says:

The preparations being discontinued are:

Utrogestan 200mg capsules (Besins Healthcare (UK) Ltd)

The pharmaceutical company has decided to discontinue the product and so it may not be available in the future.  This document has been left on the eMC for information purposes.

I don't understand the "may not be available". We will all have to ask for double the quantity. The only thing I can think of is that more women use this post-menopausally than when peri and therefore take the 100 mg, and fewer use it with a cycle.

I have put in an order for mine (we have an online prescription faciliaty at our practice) and hope that I will be able to get some more before they run out - although if 100 mg are still going to be available then I would just have to insert two instead of one  ;D

Hope you both manage to get some - San Fairy Ann - couldn't you have used 2 x 100 mg instead?

Why is all the good stuff discontinued?

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 07:45:08 PM »

Just done a bit more googling and it appears that the 200 mg utrogestan for vaginal use (in fertility0 has not ( yet) been discontinued.

As far as I can make out from the SPC info they are exactly the same product but with slightly different information in the SPC. Therefore I imagine that the vaginal capsules can be taken orally - the description is exactly the same - and all this will need is a message to Besins?

Here is the info:
http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/notice-board/utrogestan-discontinuation/20065598.article

SPC info:
200 mg Utrogestan for HRT (oral)
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/19896

200 mg Utro for fertility (vaginal)
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/28065

Hurdity x

ellie66

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »

I have a cycle out of choice like Hurdity but I have always been prescribed the 100MG by my GP so I just use 2. I also like the fact I could switch to conti without having to get a new prescription.