Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan and Estradot 25  (Read 4572 times)

justaboutcoping

Utrogestan and Estradot 25
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »

Hi all

Well, been to see my gp (see my previous post in newbies :)) We had a really good discussion, she'd checked out this website before I came in and is now considering going to some BMS seminars!(as suggested by Dr Currie!), and she thanked me for bringing all the info on here to her attention.

As recommended by Dr Currie (because I wanted to start on low dose and patches are better with my medical history) I'm going for Estradot 25 patches with Utrogestan pills (GP hadn't heard of utrogestan, but was happy to go with Dr Currie's recommendation). Dr Currie said 100mg pills but notes on here say 100mg for post and 200mg for peri. GP has prescribed in 100mg pills, with enough to cover me for up to 200mg dose - so I'm covered either way. I'm currently peri but period pretty infrequent now.

My question is - can someone explain when I take what and for how long? Do I use the patches continuously, and then tablets days 15-26? is there any break where I'd be using nothing?

Myself and my GP where getting ourselves a bit confused on those points! Unfortunately my pharmacist (who hadn't heard of either, particularly the utrogestan) didn't have either in stock so I have to wait until Monday evening to pick them up. Pharmacist is very helpful though - GP said they always prescribe generic estradiol patches but again, pharmacist has kindly agreed to get Estrdot for me.

I'm keen to get started and disappointed I can't start until Monday now. Any advice anyone can give who uses these would be gratefully accepted :)

Thanks ladies xx

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan and Estradot 25
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:00:49 PM »

Hi justaboutcoping

What a brilliant GP! It's so good to head some news - about a GP who doesn't know a lot about menopause and HRT but is willing to learn, and has listened to you rather than taking the hump!! If only they were all like that!

Re the oestrogen patches - yes they are worn continuously without a break and you change them twice a week. I am on the same regime as you only I have 50 mcg patches and have done since I started ( apart from a very broef sojourn with 37.5 last year!)

I can't remember if you are peri or post menopause?

The normal dosage is given here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php
For peri:
200mg daily at bedtime for 12 days per 28 days (days 15-26 inclusive)
for post:
100mg at bedtime from day 1 to 25 of each 28 day cycle

However this is a one size fits all dose and is probably calculated as an average for medium dose HRT.

You are on a low dose so even if you are peri and on a cycle then I imagine 100 mg will be sufficient (for days 15-26) - and if this is what Dr Currie has recommended for peri on 25 mcg Estradot then go with it.

There is no break when you would be using nothing.

I do hope it suits you - it does me - I have always used bio-identcial progesterone but originally used Cyclogest before Utrogestan was available.

Good luck!

Hurdity x

Libralady

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 07:31:25 PM »

Hello,

Thought I would just say I was on estradot 50 and utrogestan 200 for over a year, doing great but due to high blood pressure my GP said she wanted me to come off hrt. I was reduced to estradot 25 and all my symptoms came back.after a few months went back and although my bp still high I was allowed to go back to estradot 50, after a few days I am back to my old self. Great combination , I take the utrogestan day 25-26

justaboutcoping

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 10:14:11 PM »

Hi Hurdity and Libralady ( I'm libra too btw, maybe that's a good sign this will work for me too!)

Thanks for the info :)

Hurdity - I'm still peri And yes I'm really very lucky with my GP ( third time lucky at this practice!). It is a bit worrying when you're explaining to them though, if I hadn't found this site and forum I could now be on the wrong hrt for my situation! As you say though, really great that she's willing to listen, and she actually thanked me for bringing the website to her attention, and asked me if I thought it would be useful for other patients, of course I said yes!

And Libralady it's so encouraging to know this has worked for you and Hurdity, got everything crossed it works for me too, I'm cautious so starting off at the low dose, but I won't be worried to move up a level if I need to .

Just one more question, I've seen a few posts saying people couldn't cope with the fatigue when on utrogestan, have either if yiu found that at all? I don't sleep too well at the moment so can't really afford to be any more tired than I already am, maybe it will help me though?

Also, spookily enough,think I may be about to start a period, prob at least 4 mths since my last one. If I do come on should I wait before using the patches?

Oh, and I'm also checking with dr Currie re which dose of utrogestan I should be taking,

Thanks so much again everyone, my sister has been going through similar problems for longer than me, although she is a year younger, her doc gave her anti-depressants and told her not worth taking hrt cos symptoms will all come back when she stops!

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »

Thanks so much again everyone, my sister has been going through similar problems for longer than me, although she is a year younger, her doc gave her anti-depressants and told her not worth taking hrt cos symptoms will all come back when she stops!
oh dear this makes me despair-gp's are sooooo in the 19th century re anything gynae it seems.
You've got a great gp, i've seen 3 at our surgery and despite one being menpausal herself, they are all taboo and get hostile even though i too have been in touch with Dr Currie.

Libralady

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 05:56:28 PM »

I have had no problems with utrogestan making me extra tired. I still don't sleep well, I go to Bed about 9pm as I feel tired but usually awake by 5am

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »

Hi Libralady - 8 hours sleep is fabulous - I so envy you. I'm lucky if I get 6 hours and this is still broken by numerous trips to the bathroom. 
If I were you I'd try going to be bed a bit later and see if you wake at a better time. 
I may give Utrogestan a try so it's good hear about your positive experience.
DG x