Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan  (Read 4705 times)

Spangles

Utrogestan
« on: June 10, 2014, 07:25:32 AM »

Hi Ladies

I have just completed my 3rd month on Utrogestan, the first month I took 200mg orally but only managed 10 days as it completely floored me with fatigue. The second and third month I have used it vaginally and have managed 11 days. I stopped taking it 4 days ago and I have noticed that I just feel a little lifeless and very tired, I'm also on my period so that doesn't help. As far as the periods go, they seem to be a lot lighter but last for a good week or so.
Does anyone else experience these things, I must say that up to now I seem to be tolerating it a little better than the other progesterone si have tried but it's not perfect!

Thanks
Shellb
xXx

oldsheep

Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 08:30:01 AM »

I didn't tolerate 200mg orally either. Things much better on 100mgs although 200mg did help me sleep better, whereas 100 doesn't.
I've not tried it vaginally as need it to help me sleep. Keep going for a while longer to see if it settles?

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »

Hello Shellb.

I am also struggling with getting the Utrogestan dosage right. It is so hard to keep going with a regime when you have so many questions and keep wondering if you are doing the right thing.

I have been using Utrogestan with patches for 6 months now and still going through a bit of a roller coaster physically and emotionally however things may be taking longer for me as I'm post meno, whereas you may see improvement quite soon.

Take care.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 08:23:04 PM »

Hi shellb

Sorry to hear you are still experiencing some problems. Sometimes it's a question of settling on the least worst option or the one that makes us feel best overall - even if this is not perfect or the old "me".

There are bound to be some issues with still having periods - the whole cycle thing isn't fun is it - and never was (well the downside part of it just before the period and bleeding time...)?

Your reaction is why I have a long cycle and use it vaginally. For me the negative effect begins to kick in after 5 days and I carry on for 12 vaginally. Then there is sometimes a reaction to the sudden decrease in progesterone (as well as to the progesterone itself!), and then the bleed - which for me also trickles on for about a week. After that, on a 7 week cycle I have 30 days of oestrogen only which is wonderful!! I can see that in a monthly cycle the time on oestrogen only and not bleeding when you are feeling good is quite short.

Is there any way you can discuss with your doc about possibly reducing the length of time to say 8 or 9 days as you are using it vaginally, provided they keep an eye on your endometrium, and give you a regular scan? I can't remember whether you are under a private gynae or not, so they might not agree to this on NHS.

Hopefully you will soon start to feel better as the progesterone clears from your system and the sedative and fatigue-inducing apsect off it wears off.

Hurdity x

Spangles

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:18:41 AM »

Hi Ladies
Just a quick update. I've been using my Utrogestan vaginally and I thing things have got better or I've just got used to it!
However I have notice that I feel worse when I'm on my period and not using it, at the moment I feel awful with anxiety and shakes and sweats etc (I am coming to the end of an incredibly painfull and debilitating period that had hardly and blood) I'm hoping it will pass as I have to go camping on Monday with work and share a tent with colleagues.
I've always had horrid side effects from progesterone but it's been the opposite for the last few months on the Utrogestan, I have actually felt half human. I'm worried now that I'm feeling like this that the good feeling could this be wearing off and I am reverting back to being progesterone intolerant. Any advice or suggestions?
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

Suzyq

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »

Hi shelb,

Hurdity is right, it can be the decrease in progesterone that makes you feel awful too! When I was using cyclically I had a terrible week after stopping the progesterone! I now use 100mg, vaginally every day and feel good.

The feeling awful should pass once your body has adjusted to the drop in progesterone.

Hope you're recovered in time for camping!

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:33:37 PM »

Hi Shellb

It is normal to feel rough just before your period - whether on HRT or not. It's probably pmt which in the normal mentrual cucel occurs just before the bleed -w ehn oestrogen and progesterone levels fall dramatically. As long as the bleed isn;t too heavy/painful, most women feel better a few days into the period when the body has adjusted physiologically to the change in progesterone levels, and oestrogen starts to rise again. With HRT oestrogen stays constant so the changing progesterone levels can still cause side effects - even if when the y drop, and a few days following a return to oestrogen only.

As I said below - most women will still get some symptoms - that's what we've had all our fertile lives. Re the shakes and sweats - make sure you keep your blood sugar levels up by eating slow release carbs/low GI foods which should help.

Hope you feel better soon and the prog is still OK for you!

Hurdity x

Spangles

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 01:19:52 PM »

Hi Ladies

Thankyou for your replies, as always they are very reassuring. My problem with feeling awful wasn't during the build up to my period but towards the end of it, strange I know!
I am also considering taking a lower dose of Utrogestan but for longer because whilst perfection will never be achieved it it the best that I've tried.
Without this forum and you lovely ladies with all of your help and advice I don't know where I would be.

Thankyou
Shellb
xXx
 :thankyou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »

:bighug:

Spangles

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 07:52:16 AM »

Hi Ladies
Just a little update.
All has been going well on Utrogestan, I generally feel better when I am taking that than when I am not.
However before my last period I could feel the anxiety building, I'm a week off the Utrogestan now until I start it again. I feel awful really sick, sweaty anxious and panicky, not sure if it is the hormones or not?
I return to work (education) next week fate summer off, my son is due to go back to uni so I am worrying about these things too.
I just feel like I'm going back down that dark track again and I don't want to.
I'm easily filled with negativity and I am really upset that I feel like this after feeling reasonably well for so long.
Is this normal?
Can any of you relate to feeling like this?
Thank you
Shellb
xXx

Suzyq

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »

We can all relate to feeling like that! Once you are back at work I'm sure you will feel better. As I said before I feel like that if I'm not using progesterone - I now use every day and feel pretty stable! It is very likely just a blip caused by fluctuating hormones so try to relax and take it for what it is - we will inevitably still have bad weeks (especially during peri) but we are improved!!

Hope you feel better soon xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 11:56:39 AM »

The changing levels of hormones affect our blood sugar metabolism - though I'm not sure how -  but progesterone definitely contributes to my getting low blood sugar and feeling sweaty etc. This effect often lasts for several days after I stop taking the progesterone as it leaves the system, and once it's gone I am fine again - much more stable.

It could be to do with blood sugar and therefore I would make sure you eat small amounts regularly, and especially low GI foods (slow release carbs).

Also if you are still having a cycle and are peri then your own hormones will be interacting and the HRT will be adding to these so it may not be possible to attribute what you are feeling to the HRT specifically - but as long as you are feeling generally better overall - just go with it and accept that you will not feel 100% all the time - I certainly don't!

Hurdity x