Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Slightly raised CA125 level  (Read 10163 times)

Eddie

Slightly raised CA125 level
« on: September 01, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »

I recently had blood test done to find a answer to why I feel poorly. Was going to have the coil fitted and felt I should discus this with doc. Sometimes painful to pee, frequent peeing, stabbing pains in lower abdomen, almost constant brown discharge and irregular periods. I take femoston conti and just put the period problems down to that. I did have a ultrasound done and they could only find one ovary with I was told could mean that that ovary is almost redundant and the other one looked fine. So I don't understand why the CA125 can be raised?

Eddie

groundhog

Re: Slightly raised CA125 level
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »

Hi Eddie - just wanted to let you know my ca125 is permanently raised - it was 125 now it's around 50.  Should be 35 I think.  There are many reasons for elevation apparently - in my case fibroids and endometriosis.  Not always an indicator of ovarian cancer infact it's quite unreliable.  Hope you get some answers soon xx

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 11:41:20 AM »

I agree with groundhog - it is an unreliable test unless it is being used to monitor a woman already suffering from a known cancer as a drop in levels in these cases will show that the chemo is being used effectively.

I have found this info

"Is CA 125 testing useful as a cancer screening test?

Although CA 125 is a useful test in monitoring women who are being treated for ovarian cancer, a single CA 125 test is not considered to be a useful screening test for cancer. Some women with ovarian cancer (up to 20%) never have elevated CA 125 levels, while most women who do have elevated CA 125 levels do not have cancer. In fact, because CA 125 can be elevated in so many non-cancerous conditions, only about 3% of women with elevated CA 125 levels have ovarian cancer."

Hope you get some answers soon.

Taz x

Eddie

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:12:58 PM »

That's good to hear. Hopefully nothing to worry about then and I'll be able to stay on my hrt.
Eddie

tiger74

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 01:11:28 PM »

Have you asked the doctors for their opinions on why your CA-125 level is raised?

I have also been told (by various healthcare professionals) about CA-125 levels being a notoriously unreliable indicator of ovarian cancer (unless being used as a tumour marker for women undergoing treatment).  In fact, where I live CA-125 test is not offered as a diagnostic tool for ovarian cancer and definitely not as a screening tool.

All the best.

Eddie

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 06:48:33 AM »

I never thought to ask, she did say that she was going to refer anyway because of the bleeding and pain. Got appt for tomorrow morning, I have looked up the info on ca125 and don't feel as worried now.
Eddie

Linsey44

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 07:24:37 PM »

Eddie

I agree with the other CA 125 is unreliable indicator, my gynae consultant also told me this.

I can relate to most of your symtoms esp the stabbing pain and bleeding.  I had sub total hysterectomy in may 13 and it was adenomyosis.  This is very similar to endo and produces similar symtoms main diff is it grows within the ridge cavities of your womb whereas endo can grow almost anywhere.

Both are benign conditions as far as i am aware and are not a pre cursor to cancer or at least thats what i was told.
This should be followed up by your gp.

Eddie

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 08:36:27 AM »

Thanks for the reassurance folks. I went along and seen gynae, he actually never mentioned the ca125 but asked more about my symptoms. Did an internal scan and managed to find missing ovary. He said he thought all was well, took biopsies and I am seeing doc today for results which I expect to be fine too.
As for the pains? Maybe more urology route?
Eddie