Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bloating and wind  (Read 14641 times)

honeybun

Bloating and wind
« on: September 08, 2014, 03:18:45 PM »

I am really suffering with both at the moment.

The doctor has given me Colpermin and Mebeverine. Neither works very well to be honest.

I have tried peppermint tea which helps a bit.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any hints and tips that work for them.

I know it's just wind but it's uncomfortable.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

Re: Bloating and wind
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 03:32:31 PM »

A most uncomfy thing to have. How about a diet change? Maybe less in the way of vegetables to see if that helps? Peas and beans are dreadful. Bananas are also something I can no longer eat unless I want to blow up like a balloon  ;D. I had an endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy just to check that the bloating was not due to bowel or stomach cancer and also an ovarian scan to rule out ovarian cancer but, in the end, eating less of the fermenting type of things made a lot of difference.

It is a new problem - probably to do with stress - but anything you can do to help your system cope will be useful I would think.

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »

I think it's another of those dreadful menopause symptoms.  Bloating and wind seems to come with the territory. I find Colpermin quite good.  Try fennel tea - great for the digestion.  DG x

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 03:51:24 PM »

Rennie Defaltine is best HB, its not instant but if you use two tablets about an hour later the gas is released, in a rather long un ladylike way :o

milly

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 04:22:45 PM »

Having an ileostomy I can tell you without doubt the main wind culprits are not what you may think!

My digestion is about 4 hours from start to finish ,and over the years have realised that bread and pasta are the worse, especially crumpets!.

Peas regroup even if they are well chewed, and fish believe it or not, is dodgy for bloating.

Hope this helps!

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 04:27:49 PM »

Thanks milly. I have IBS - the run-for-the-loo kind and peas have been my downfall many a morning!!

Taz x

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 04:57:42 PM »

silverlady your post made me chuckle out loud to myself. I don't need rennies to be unladylike  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 06:04:27 PM »

Oh if only I could be more un ladylike  ;D the relief would be wonderful.

I do think my diet needs looking at. Trouble is its healthy. I love veg and fruit but try to limit it. Salads are lethal and that where this latest attack stems from. I don't eat much bread. Maybe one slice a day.

Just had fish for dinner...Oh dear.

My IBS has changed just a bit to a bit of a mix. One minute running for the loo and the next not being able to go.

The GP has checked me out and all appears to be fine but this wind is driving me up the wall.
I have my cancer bowel test kit in, so will get on with that very soon.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »

Have you been offered a sigmoidoscopy or endoscopy Honeyb? It sounds as if this might be a good idea especially as your IBS has changed.  Although the bowel cancer screening test is better than nothing it does give a high rate of false negatives due to the fact that bowel tumours don't bleed all of the time and if you carry out the test during a non-bleeding phase the tumour doesn't show up. In England they are introducing a new test soon which will be the camera up the bottom together with the normal screening test.

Taz x

Linsey44

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »

How about aloe vera digestive aid juice with fennel and chamomile?

bramble

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 08:53:03 PM »

In England they are introducing a new test soon which will be the camera up the bottom together with the normal screening test.

Taz x

They are introducing a pilot study of that here at the moment as well.
B.

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 07:16:07 AM »

I can relate to this. I blame the wind on the dog!( we haven't got one!) I have recently started having noisy wind, which makes my family laugh. Very embarrassing.

Rowan

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »

My OH suffers from digestive and bowel problems back in the day they called a spastic colon, I have lost count of the numerous investigations he has, including CT scan and ultrasound.

After numerous camera up the bottom procedures (and down the throat)  not forgetting the bowel cancer kit, where you have to take the sample yourself and send them off, they have found nothing! but still he is plagued which his problems and sometimes very bad pain.

You should see cabinet of stuff he has been prescribed, quite honestly I don't there is much else they can give him to relieve his problems.

He was first diagnosed with a "spastic colon" when he was 18, its called IBS now but that is an umbrella name for it because Doctors don't really know what cause some people to have these problems, when every thing else is ruled out.

He is surprised when I make him suck a few Defaltines because sometimes it works ( only sometimes though), gas and bloating can be every painful and can even cause palpitations, still at a loss on how to help him with the constipation side and as our pharmacist said he has been given everything for good clear out but still nothing. I have hinted at Colonic irrigation but he won't hear of it :o  there is something called "Fleet" that they give him before the colonoscopy's that does the job, I tell him that he must be the only person who is not by bothered sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy procedures.

Stress doesn't help at all, they do say that the gut is the second brain, they share similar cells.

Wish I had the answer.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:47:08 PM by silverlady »

Linsey44

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »

Dont laugh this usually works to get wind out.

Lie flat on floor face down.
Place your hands flat around level with your chest.
Push up using arms until your back is arched as far as its comfortable.
Then go flat again.
Repeat a few times.
To get up yourself up - bring your knees in until you are on your hands and knees then progress into a crouching position and nearly always your gas escapes on the way back up.

Honestly my daughter does this when she has a sore tum.

Picture the scene!

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 09:29:16 PM »

Don't care what it looks like. If it lets the wind blow free I'm all for it  ;D

Honeyb
x
Pages: [1] 2