Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Gynaecological Scan - Will I have to take my knickers off?!!  (Read 4868 times)

jaydee

Gynaecological Scan - Will I have to take my knickers off?!!
« on: September 07, 2014, 05:36:01 PM »

Well the heading says it all really.   My GP has decided to send me for a routine scan and I feel I have to do everything he says as, he's still prescribing (albeit reluctantly) my HRT and, I'm now at the dreaded 60 years mark.   Thing is, I've started a period today and the scan is booked in for tomorrow.   I don't want to seem thick by turning up and saying 'Oh I didn't realise it mattered!!'  While at the same time I don't know whether or not it does!!

Please can one of you lovely ladies advise me?

Many thanks
Jaydee

Hurdity

Re: Gynaecological Scan - Will I have to take my knickers off?!!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »

Hi jaydee

It depends on what sort of scan - the first scan I had was an ultrasound scan - and for this you don't need to take  anything off as long as the radiogrpaher can get to your abdomen. If you are having a transvaginal scan - then yes you will because an probe thing is inserted in your vagina. If you are able to - phone up and ask before you go in, or your letter, if you have one, should say which type. Usually with a U/S scan you have to drink a lot of water beforehand so the bladder is full and the uterus is pushed forwards into the correct position (just like in pregnancy).

Even if it is a vaginal scan it may not matter about the bleeding - but again would be worth asking before you go whether it's OK to be scanned while bleeding.

From an investigation point of view the best time to be scanned is after the bleed when the lining will be at its thinnest - any abnormal thickening will be apparent then.

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:15:37 PM »

I've had both the ultrasound and the trans-vaginal scans while bleeding. Don't worry they are really used to dealing with it and although it seems gross to have to remove knickers and pad while in there they really don't mind a bit and it's not embarrassing at all.

If you are having both then you are allowed to go to the toilet to empty your bladder between the US and the trans-vaginal one - makes it much more comfy!

Taz x

Mrs January

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:45:55 PM »

Hey

I had both too and agree with Taz. I was able to go to the loo in-between, neither hurt or were horrid .....so hope it goes ok

Hugs

Lyn xxx

jaydee

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:40 AM »

Thanks for getting back to me.  I'm hoping it is only an abdomen scan; don't think it's for anything else as it's just  routine.   Haven't been having any problems but GP noticed I hadnt had one , so decided I should!!

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »

Both of these scans are used routinely. I would think that if he's on the ball enough to send you for one then it would seem daft not to have both while you're there. The vaginal one gives a good idea of the thickness of the womb lining which is probably one of the things he wants to check if he's still prescribing HRT.  You are lucky(!) that he's sending you with all the cost-cutting going on. A bit of info here about the vaginal scan http://www.thh.nhs.uk/documents/_Patients/PatientLeaflets/radiology/PIID157-TV_Ultrasound_scan-Apr13.pdf

Let us know how it goes!

Taz x

oldsheep

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »

the vaginal one is important as Taz says, to measure the thickness of the womb lining. It doesn't hurt at all. They cover you with a sheet. It's really easy; not embarrassing. Try not to worry.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:41:58 PM »

If you really are embarrassed give the Dept a ring before you go or ask a Nurse on arrival.  It will be too late to offer the appt. anyway.  Although bleeding is natural I would be too embarrassed to go through such an examination whilst bleeding.  You could ask whether the result would be better once the bleed has stopped ……. let us know how you get on!