Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Newbie needing reassurance!  (Read 3638 times)

Topsy

Newbie needing reassurance!
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:11:19 PM »

Hi everyone.  I'm not quite sure what's going on with me at the moment.  For the past year my periods have come earlier than normal (about every 23 days) and some months I'm not sure if I've ovulated or not.  I'm used to experiencing ovulation pain, not every month, but I do get the mucous.  My last period was just under 3 weeks ago and only lasted 2 days with lots of mucous (especially final day - feeling like it was ovulating mucous) and only one day of heavier flow. 

Then a week ago I started having brown discharge (not smelly and sometimes hardly enough to show on a pad).  It's still happening although this morning there's a slight bit of red!  Sorry I feel I'm already giving TMI!! I  have had absolutely no ovulation signs since I came off three weeks ago and since the brown bit started, which scared me a bit as it was too early for my normal period.  I did wonder if my body tried to ovulate at the end of my period.  I'm definitely NOT pregnant! 

Also over the past year I've had awful PMT.  I have been under a lot of stress, running my business and dealing with life in general. Sleeping has been erratic so I'm tired.  I don't have sweats, but my joints are aching for no apparent reason and my lower tummy sometimes feels tender.  I'm nearly 47.   Do you think I'm in perimenopause?  I've not seen the doctor as it's all so vague and I only started to put two and two together when the browny bit started last week!  I did an FSH test yesterday which was negative, but not sure the time of the month these need doing.  Just wondering if a progesterone test is called for as I have been very stressed, especially this past month.  I know stress can interfere with things, or things can cause the stress!   This is all so new to me and I feel a bit scared as everything was always so regular with me.  Thanks for listening!

Taz2

Re: Newbie needing reassurance!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:56:24 PM »

Hi Topsy - you have come to the right place!

Peri menopause lasts for the eight to ten years before the age of menopause which is around 50/51 so at 47 you are in the right age range for it! Periods at this time of our lives can become closer together, further apart, disappear altogether for months at a time, become heavy or light - there is no hard and fast rule just the fact that things are beginning to change. It is a shock to all of us when this happens. Until mine began to change I had no idea that my month was sort of regulated by things like ovulating, pmt and then a period.  It is also normal, although annoying, to have mood swings as the hormone levels begin to fluctuate.

FSH levels rise when your body is trying to release an egg and the further you go towards meno the higher the level gets as the body tries and fails. You may find that you now only ovulate from one side so perhaps you will get ovulation pain every other period or you may find that you no longer get any ovulation symptoms at all.

Don't be scared - although it seems strange at first you will get used to this new "body". Have a good look around the site - there is loads of info both in our posts and in the menu on the left of the screen.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 03:05:47 PM »

Hi Topsy and welcome to MM
It does all sound like early signs of peri menopause. Your story is pretty typical.  Taz is absolutely right in all she says. The peri stage can be rough as your hormones will fluctuate for often many years giving all sorts of problems.  Did you do a home test for FSH? Testing progesterone is not necessary but oestrogen levels are important.
I would definitely see your GP and ask to have some proper tests done to look at your FSH and oestrogen levels and discuss your symptoms with him/her. HRT can be advisable to protect your heart and bones.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen and get back to us with questions.  DG x

Topsy

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 03:21:53 PM »

Thanks ladies!  Yes, I got a test off good old Amazon.  I've read (done lots of reading these past few days!) that it can give a false negative. 

It's just the brown 'stuff' that's worried me really.  But if I didn't ovulate this time (pretty sure I've not) then maybe there's nothing to come away although I've never had this happen before.  Does anyone know what causes it to be brown and scant?  Isn't it lovely being a woman!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:38:16 PM by Topsy »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 04:46:42 PM »

Brown stuff is quite normal.  Many women get this and often get it at the end of a period anyway. It's basically a bit of spotting. Go see your GP for a chat, some tests and advice.
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 06:16:35 PM »

Hi Topsy

:welcomemm:

You might be interested to read this article from the MM magazine called "The Perils of the Perimenopause" which explains the hormonal changes that are going in your body at this time, and especially about ovulation or lack of it:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 10:00:17 AM »

Hello Topsy and welcome to the forum.

I just wanted to add that I am post meno and using HRT patches and when I had a brown discharge lately my GP was unconcerned and we both thought is was due to using a high dose oestrogen patch. I have since halved the patch and the discharge has gone so definitely hormone related. Just another fun thing to contend with at this time in our lives.

Take care and keep posting.

K.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »

hello topsy, welcome to the forum.

Oh how I wish I had known this stuff  about perimenopause 10 years ago it would have made everything so much clearer and easier and I might have avoided the anti depressants that I was offered at the time although I was not depressed!!

All came clear when my hot flushes started at age 52 but the years before that were horrible and I didn't know why.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Topsy

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 09:17:47 PM »

Thanks everyone. I feel very reassured now. Will definitely read the article Hurdity!  Bleeding started lightly last night and continued lightly today. Definitely not like my normal heavy two days and then tailing off. And my boobs are suddenly painful and swollen. Gawd this is fun but to be honest I'm quite looking forward to the start of a new freedom, when it finally arrives. Guess I might have a bit of away to go yet though!  But I'm now in the right place with everyone going through the same!