Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: 2weeks on everol patch  (Read 5816 times)

momo1973

2weeks on everol patch
« on: September 04, 2014, 06:01:06 PM »

Hi everyone

I am nearly 41 (peri-menopausal) and started on everol 50 2 weeks ago and straight away felt fab.  My doc of tiredness lifted, libido came back every so slightly lol, raging mood lifted, slept better and night sweats stopped.  A week and a half in started to feel not so good, very tired and sore boobs, then low and behold took my period, 2weeks and 3 days after I applied the last time (my cycle is all the place normally but thing this would maybe help).....feel so tired, weepy (been crying last night and tonight) and in a really bad mood.  Just changed on to the 2nd type of patch today.  I know I need to give it 3 months and I definitely will, just thought as I felt so good straight away that it would stay that way :-( x

Dancinggirl

Re: 2weeks on everol patch
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 06:11:04 PM »

Hi and welcome momo1973
I went through an early menopause and it's tough.  You are probably still peri menopausal so your own hormones will be fluctuating and this can effect bleeds and mood greatly. The second half of the month when the progesterone is added in the patches is usually when side effects kick in - it's the progesterone you are reacting to and this is common for many women.
You would probably be better on a different HRT.  Femoston is a good one to try as it has a kinder progesterone and suits many some very well - it comes in different strengths as well.
I was eventually put on Oestrogel which you apply to arms or legs and you can adjust the dose to what you need to keep symptoms under control.  It may be worth considering a Mirena coil for the progesterone part as very little progesterone is absorbed around your body so gives fewer PMT type side effects than many of the other progesterones.  Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen to get fully clued up and get back to us with questions.
You need to take HRt to protect your heart and bones so it's worth finding the right HRT for you. DG x

karenja

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 06:12:39 PM »

Hi Im on theses patches too, nearly at end of first month one day to go, I started off feeling ok, apart from a few funny side effects cramp, since Ive been on the progesterone patches, had tingly arms, bloated belly (maybe due a bleed), I get tingly feelings in arms and a few other funny feelings, tight chest for example.  Im going to try and stick at it for three months but its not easy x

suey43

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 12:35:40 PM »

I'm on Everol 100mg patches (this is day 4) - swapped from Elleste 2mg as that wasn't working too well. Main symptom is anxiety and sleep problems.

Have to say I'm feeling worse than I have for a few weeks though, and am desperate to hear that they WILL eventually make me feel better.

Also been taking sleeping tablets (Zopiclone), beta blockers and occasionally Diazepam too to help with these crushing symptoms but would much rather not have to take them.

Yesterday was a pretty awful day. Anyone got a good news story about Everol patches working for anxiety and sleep problems to cheer me up? Been feeling rotten for weeks now and not sure how much longer I can cope  :'(

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 02:22:04 PM »

Hi and welcome suey43
You don't say how old you are or where you are in your menopause. How long have you been using this HRT?
Are you just using oestrogen patches? Have you had a hysterectomy? Do you have a Mirena? If you still have your uterus then you need some progesterone.
Oestrogen can help with anxiety and sleep issues but it can take some time and I think it is often necessary to use both HRT and ADs to control anxiety.  Are you getting flushes and night sweats? I do hope you feel better soon.
I hope others who have tried oestrogen for anxiety will be along soon with help.  DG x

suey43

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 03:27:37 PM »

Hello DG,

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

I'm 52 and menopause started a few months ago (Dr did hormone test to check). Started tablet Elleste 4 weeks ago and now have been on the patches for 4 days. Yes, have a Mirena for the progesterone bit as still have my womb.

GP did mention ADs but said to wait for a few more weeks to see if the patches work. Am seeing her in 3 weeks to discuss again. Not getting flushes as such but first symptom was a panic attack in the middle of the night with frightening palpitations (guess this was a flush of sorts).

Thanks again - you do sometimes feel as though you're going round the bend and hearing from others does help.

xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »

Be patient - you obviously have a good GP who is trying all the options, so stick with it.
Hope you feel better soon.  Dg x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 06:29:50 PM »

Hi suey43

As Dancinggirl says that some symptoms take a while to settle and if you are peri-menopausal then your own hormones will still be fluctuating. Your doctor is right not to give you ADs for your anxiety if this is a hormonal problem and very common around the menopause, and espeically as you are already taking two other types of tablet. If oestrogen can deal with it all - so much the better!

Here is an article on this site about what's happening to the body during peri-menopause:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

If you can hang in there and find other non chemical ways to help with your anxiety it would be so much better in the long term. There are lots of self-help mechanisms, and breathing that you can do. There is a site called nomorepanic that another member posted about a few months ago: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/. Also a former member used this exercise to cope with anxiety http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8454.0.html  - it's a long thread but the exercise is at the beginning!

You're lucky to be on 100 mcg patches at the start - I was given 50 mcg at just under 54 when I was in late peri-menopause and never increased the dose. It may well be that as you are only on Day 4, your body is still adjusting to this new mode of delivery and especially this high dose from the start as you were on a medium tablet dose before. Sudden increase in oestrogen (from external sources) can cause initial side effects.

Hope this helps!

Hurdity x

suey43

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 09:30:51 AM »

Hi there Hurdity,

Thanks for your reply and very helpful advice. Everything you say makes sense! My GP is being brilliant - think she recognises how awful I'm feeling and is hopeful that HRT will provide relief. Also not keen to go on ADs unless I absolutely have to. Just praying for some relief as it's been 2 months (although that isn't long it's felt like an eternity as it's affecting every area of my life).

Thanks again.

xx