Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Colposcopy  (Read 4291 times)

Soosey

Colposcopy
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:47:23 AM »

Just wondering if anyone has ever had an anaesthetic injected while having a colposcopy smear test? This happened to me and I didn't expect to have an injection down there, never had to have one before but the DR said my birth canal was tiny so it was the only way to get a smear. It wasn't very pleasant and was still uncomfortable so I'm guessing the injection didn't even work. Didn't say anything to the DR because to be honest I couldn't wait to get out of there!

Milamam

Re: Colposcopy
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 10:49:51 AM »

Hi,
I ve had colposcopy several times and have never had anesteasia injected. Never felt a thing.

Claireylou

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »

Hi, I've had several and the only time I was given a LA injection was when I had biopsies or nasty cells taken away xx

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 12:23:20 PM »

Hi Soosey - welcome to the forum.

As your birth canal is tiny then the injection may have been thought necessary to make it a bit more comfortable for you when the speculum was inserted. Do you usually have trouble with smear tests giving you pain?  I'm not sure how old you are or whether you have had children or not.

I hope your results from the colsposcopy are good. Please let us know how you get on.

Taz x

Soosey

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:20:33 PM »

Thanks for your replies. Yes I have had children and am in my forties. Had an abnormal smear a few years ago so have had to have yearly colposcopies. all have been fine thank goodness but this is the first time I ever had an injection.

Helsy

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:06:20 PM »

Hi I had a colposcopy in 1996 as abnormal cells and then had another when a lletz biopsy was done.  The second one was the only time I had an injection.  had to have annual smears since but not under colposcopy.  Hope all ok. x