Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: osteocare vitamins  (Read 3209 times)

owenlana

osteocare vitamins
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:12:39 AM »

started taking these vitamins with calcium and vitamin d3, 2 days into them bad diarrhoea.  Stopped taking upon wondering whether I just had a stomach upset.  Started taking again 1 day into and again diarrhoea.
I give up.. Think I will give these a miss.  After also some internet reading wondering if calcium supplements are reall such a good idea!!
Anyone else experienced diarrhoe taking osteocare?

rosebud57

Re: osteocare vitamins
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:29:48 AM »

You're better off just taking magnesium.  Most people get enough calcium (if they eat dairy) but you need magnesium as well to activate the calcium.  Don't think the vit D, would upset your tum, but you should only need it through the winter (unless you don't get much summer sun).  Make sure you get a good quality  magnesium supplement (try Healthspan) and if necessary take half morning, and half evening to prevent the runs.

There have been lots of reports of late saying that calcium supplements are not effective and can cause problems such as gall stones.  I would do some internet searches and then decide after you have more information.

owenlana

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:34:13 AM »

Yes I'm not convinced I need the calcium, but I had been vainly concerned with my thinning hair and dull skin!  Vain I know!!  I realize there are far more worries!!
As I work from home and in Scotland I dont get enough sunshine!!  reason for the vitamin d3.  I know the osteocare formula does also combine with magnesium..
Also I am vegetarian.  I'm confused now what if any extra vitamins I need to take..
Its a minefield of info on internet and everything just leads to my confusion. 

rosebud57

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:39:39 AM »

Most vits will state if they are okay for vegetarians.  Try Dr Briffas website, it's got lots of info in this and other supplements and a whole section of women's health (I think its drbriffa.com)

owenlana

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:46:10 AM »

Almost every conclusion I always come to is that we dont really need extra vitamins.  everything should be obtained from our diet.  Personally food does seem the most natural way.. almost every time  I read in to vitamins I end up reading all the negatives, risks and scares..

rosebud57

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:50:51 AM »

Yes I agree, but only if your young and healthy (not me).  As you get older you do not process or store vits very well so a little extra help does no harm.  Just make sure you stay within the recommended dose.

owenlana

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »

Thankyou kindly for your advice.  I'm 45 now and was diagnosed with early menopause.  Been on patch 5 years now. 
You are right as we get older we need more vits.  I think I will have a chat with my doctor and see if she thinks I may be lacking in anything.