Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Skin Problems  (Read 3121 times)

Purpletabbycat

Skin Problems
« on: September 05, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »

Hello
I'm currently on Elleste Duet 1mg and it is helping a little bit in alleviating some of my meno symptoms.
My main problem now, is one of the side effects that I've not seen mentioned before - spots.
Before meno I would get a "hormonal breakout" a week before my period. When I started on the meno this cleared up. Now I'm on HRT I'm back to getting the breakouts again and it's really miserable. They are big, painful red lumps on my chin which leave nasty purple scars. They are exactly the same as when I used to get them before a period.

I try all sorts of cleansers, spot creams, tea tree oil but the problem is the rest of my skin is obviously mature and more dry, so "acne type" skincare dries out the rest of my face.

I think my skin thinks it's 15 again, instead of 51!

Does anyone know how I can control the breakouts? Please?
Help!

dahliagirl

Re: Skin Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »

Hi

It is the sort of progestogen used in it.  If you do a bit of research on progestogens, you will find some are made from androgenic substances (I think this includes norithisterone and levenorgestrel) and these are more likely to have spotty-type side-effects!

It may settle down in time.  In the meantime, use gentle face wash and moisturisers that are not supposed to encourage spots.

More modern progestogens do not do this as much.

peegeetip

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/11052431/Sex-spots-and-career-satisfaction-a-month-living-by-my-hormones-changed-everything.html

Thought that week 4 was helpful as some of us do tend to rush or miss out our tlc moments. Also a lot of us touch our faces quite a lot which does tend to move the germs into prime locations around the chin/mouth area. A handy antibio/hydrocortisone cream from the doc used around this time to quell things down helps me too.

:-*

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 03:52:05 PM »

I wish I'd read this before I stopped having a cycle! I always felt that my whole month was governed by hormones but didn't have any proof.

Taz x