Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Mini pill  (Read 5182 times)

Loll99

Mini pill
« on: September 01, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »

Is there an age limit to take a mini pill for progesterone.? I'm 50 pre menopausal had mirena which dis lodged, been advised I'm not suitable for an ablation as I ve had 3 c sections and an MRI scan showed thin uterus, my gynae is suggesting hysterectomy.  I really don't want to consider this and I'm clutching at straws hoping there must be something else any comments gratefully received

dahliagirl

Re: Mini pill
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:00:30 PM »

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/the-pill-progestogen-only.aspx

You can take it up to 55 :)

Cerezette-type pills contain more progesterone and have a 12hr window, instead of 3hr.

Loll99

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:09:19 PM »

Thank you.  This option has never been offered I don't need contraception but hoping the progesterone would help a bit with periods.    I ll try anything right now!!

tiger74

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:45:27 AM »

Loll99, did you realise that the progesterone-only pill is also available as an implant?  I had this for years (in my upper arm).  Very straightforward and saves having to remember to take the pill at the same time every day (I was always rubbish at that). 

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:57:25 AM »

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php

There is norithisterone which might help.

I didn't find the pop made much difference to periods (took it whilst breast feeding).  The coc made much more difference.

The new cerezette-type ones might do - I think they are a bit like mirena, in that you need to give it over 6 months to settle, and they do no not work for some people.

robotwars

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 12:37:27 PM »

My doctor has just prescribed me cerazette, for bad periods and flooding, I'm just about to start them. Will let you know how I get on with them? I was going to have the mirena coil fitted as I had a bad reaction to the hrt, but the doctor said to try the mini pill first to see how I got on with it.

Loll99

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 07:36:03 PM »

Thanks for all your advice. I'm going to see GP and ask about this option.   

Suzi Q

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 02:11:52 AM »

I was given the Mini pill and Ovestin and took the mini pill for over 13 year instead of HRT
When I was put on Vagifem in 2010 my GP said I didnt need to take the mini pill anymore
HOpe that helps xx