Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ice Bucket challenge  (Read 12963 times)

babyjane

Ice Bucket challenge
« on: August 31, 2014, 09:44:08 AM »

I find I am getting myself wound up and in a bit of a state so I hope its all right to vent here.

Facebook users will probably be aware of this recent challenge going around to supposedly raise money for charity and that in itself is not my problem. My difficulty is with the peer pressure behind the nominations.

Many say it is all in fun but I know what damage peer pressure can do. My son has nominated family members and most have taken it with good humour and taken part, but my husband has chosen not to as he is a very private person and he should be allowed to choose to abstain. However this morning there have been comments about him 'letting the side down' and there is my problem with the whole thing, the  pressure, and is why I detest social media.
You will probably wonder why I am on Facebook then if I dislike it so much. Simply to keep up to date with my children and grandchildren as these days phone calls and letters containing photographs are an outdated form of communication, I realise that.
I'll get off my soapbox now  >:( .

Thanks for the platform, I feel better now I have laid it down  :)

Rowan

Re: Ice Bucket challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 10:15:55 AM »

You should say to them if putting your head in a gas oven with taps on and not lit  because it was challenge for charity and every one was doing it, would they comply.

Add something about "Lemmings" too.

Your husband has every right to stand his ground, there is nothing wrong with social media but you have to stand up for yourself, and leave it at that.

Its just a silly juvenile fad, soon it will be something else babyjane.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 10:27:09 AM »

thank you silverlady, for your wise comment. Husband is choosing not to get into justifying his choice as it will only prolong the issue. Hopefully they will accept him for who he is. He already donates monthly to his chosen charity and that is his business.
I was feeling so wound up earlier on his behalf I needed to lay it down in a neutral environment.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 10:37:31 AM »

Why get wound up about it? I'd just delete from my friend's list anyone who accused me of being a spoil sport.

Controversy is stirring http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/als-ice-bucket-challenge-charities-battle-for-ice-bucket-rights-9701866.html

Taz x

groundhog

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:39 AM »

Babyjane I can relate to this.  We were nominated by daughters partner.  My husband is a gregarious man and enjoyed the challenge.  I was dreading it - im not a confident person and found it humiliating to be filmed.  So on the evening in question I jibbed only to get a ' you're so miserable ' from daughters partner.  I felt so down .  I made my pledge to charity but don't like being made to feel bad for not joining in the 'fun'.   
Each to their own I suppose xx

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:59:36 AM »

Oh groundhog I can't believe this, what a unkind thing to say, its almost bullying, my OH donates to a few Charities regularly, he does so quietly with no fuss, in fact I have only  found a few years ago that he has a standing order to do so.

He is Rotarian too.

I think if people want to partake in this they should be careful who they nominate and not use it a sport.

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 11:36:08 AM »

I am sorry you were made to feel bad about not taking part groundhog, This is my beef with it that it could make younger people, and some older people too, feel bullied and coerced into something they are not happy with and it is this that gets me wound up Taz2.
I have 2 young granddaughters who took part and enjoyed it but it worries me that classmates could be nominated, not want to do it and then be picked on for not taking part. My eldest granddaughter has been bullied in the past for being 'different'.
I don't want to cause a storm but I feel better for being able to voice my feelings  :)

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »

I wonder what the charity is going to do with all of the money?

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »

What a ridiculous thing to happen.
If you don't want to do it and most definitely don't then there should be no pressure.

Lots of people give regularly to charity with no song and dance about it.

Your hubby was quite right to say no if that's how he felt and that should be it.

I also heard on radio that for some people who have heart problems then this has the potential to do real harm.

Honeyb
x

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »

I'm not going to keep harping on as I feel better now just from the replies here so thank you. All I have left to say is that in my own opinion this has the potential to become unpleasant and I am sure it was not originally intended to be.
I'll shut up now  :-X

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 12:45:19 PM »

No need for that as you have started an interesting discussion.

Honeyb
x

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »

:) thanks

countrylass

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 01:13:01 PM »

I agree with what the others say, no one should feel coerced into into doing stuff like this.

I also think that if someone wants to nominate someone, they should be the ones who donate to charity and not the nominee.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 03:46:37 PM »

What a WASTE of the most precious resource on Earth  :cuss: water  :'(

No-one tells me that I am a spoil-sport.  Suggest that you donate to Water Aid instead  ;) - this thread is current on all the Forums I visit and many are saying 'no'. 

Another reason not to FaceBook!

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 03:57:36 PM »

ALS needs donations though CLKD - donating to WaterAid wont help research possible cures into this dreadful disease. Is it Tesco that's donating a portion of it's profits from ice sales?

I think that the nominees should be asked first if they mind.

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2 3