Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: menopause and food  (Read 13701 times)

babyjane

Re: menopause and food
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »

thanks for sharing dulciana. My husband has recently started drinking milk every evening since he read that it can help with arthritis in the knee. Although most of the information mentions it is beneficial for women he decided to try it as he doesn't think it will do any harm. Strangely his knee pain has started improve whether this is placebo effect or not doesn't matter, he can get upstairs easier now  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »

There is something in Chinese foods which can cause tummy upsets …… of course, Meno-brain can't remember  :( : monosodium glutamate?

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 08:31:40 PM »

We have a great Chinese near us. Don't go that often, maybe once a month but I really like it.

Honeyb
x

Kathleen

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 09:08:12 AM »

Hello babyjane.

I have found that my appetite has decreased over the last few years. One of my earlier meno problems was feeling nauseas so that didn't help, plus I'm not as active as I once was. My weight has remained constant so I guess I am ticking over. I've read that we need fewer calories as we get older as we no longer need them to build muscles so maybe a smaller appetite is no bad thing.

Take care.

K.

babyjane

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 09:52:50 AM »

It is the monosodium glutamate, a flavour enhancer, that is in chinese food and why I cannot tolerate it. In fact my husband and I evaluated all of our diet since we watched a programme called 'The Worlds Best Diet on Channel 4 back in June. It really made us think more about fresh food and less convenience and ready made, a real eye opener.

Sorry, hello Kathleen, how rude of me to not acknowledge your post.

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 12:31:27 PM »

I don't use ready meals at all and never have done although they have improved greatly over the years. They are very handy especially for working women who have a family to feed in the evening after a long day at work

I think it's balance in every thing that's important. Also a little of what you fancy does you good.

My hubbies appetite has decreased as he gets older. He says it's because he is not as active. It's causes difficulties for me though as he is diabetic and needs to eat  ::)

Honeyb
x

countrylass

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 01:24:07 PM »

One of the big changes for me is that I no longer enjoy takeaway or restaurant food as it always tastes too salty.

Vegetable cravings are now part of my life. At the moment it's beans and greens, I could eat them at every meal. We're growing more greens than ever this year - spring cabbages, pointy cabbages, Brussels sprouts, ordinary kale, curly Kale, Tuscan black kale, oh yes  :)

babyjane

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 02:21:35 PM »

That all sounds lovely, I like all of those you have listed countrylass but I do enjoy them with gravy if it is available. I think gravyface might have been a better forum name for me that my childhood nickname when I was struggling to think of something suitable  ::)
Funny what you said about restaurant food tasting salty, we don't cook with salt at all and visitors can add it at the table if they want to. As a result we find things taste over salted when we go out to eat.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »

I LOVE sprouts  ;D there are over 200 varieties grown in the UK

countrylass

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 05:06:04 PM »

Well, my dear one is feeding my brassica addiction - he went to the garden centre and came home with nine curly kale and nine 'January King' cabbage plants. And he's planted them out and put netting over them! More sprouts, though!

I'm a fan of gravy too, as long as I've made it myself  ;) 'Gravyface' - love it.

We don't use salt in cooking either and I guess one must become sensitive to it quite quickly once you cut down. That or my palate has suddenly changed.

babyjane

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 05:22:20 PM »

too late now countrylass.
My son is the same, he has to have his food swimming in gravy, or custard if it is a pudding but as he lives on his own now I'm not sure he bothers as mum isn't there to make it  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »

Introduce him to packet custard  ;D

babyjane

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 05:26:28 PM »

oh my life he'd have a fit! He has become a gourmet cook since he had his own place and never uses packet anything. only cooking and baking from scratch will do, he is a real foodie. Unfortunately time constraints due to commuting and working long hours means baking is left to day off or Sunday.

Limpy

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »

Introduce him to packet custard  ;D

Are we talking Birds here?

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »

Oh yes.  Runny and hot or runny and cold ……… but I have to fancy custard to eat it.  Cheaper and quicker than making from scratch: apparently ………
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5