Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: menopause and food  (Read 13703 times)

babyjane

menopause and food
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:59:15 PM »

has anyone noticed if their tastes have changed since menopause. Foods I liked before I am no longer bothered about and I now eat things I didn't like before. I don't seem to want so much either, but prefer little and often to a big meal.

What are your best and worst foods? My favourits are shepherd's pie or fish pie with runner beans and gravy or beans on toast but it has to be with a cup of tea,  and my worst is Pizza and chips. My best comfort food is custard.

honeybun

Re: menopause and food
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 07:07:39 PM »

My meals are much smaller than they used to be. I eat toast at breakfast because I know I really need to have something. Lunch is a chore as I can't be bothered and am really not hungry. Dinner is medium sized. My tastes have changed too. I go for weeks not eating any meat then take a notion....a big juicy steak.
I eat mostly chicken and fish these days.

Winter is a bit different as comfort food comes into play. Cottage pie, beef cobbler,soups and one pot casseroles.

The weather has been really warm this summer...even up here, and that kills my appetite.

I hate pizza too, used to love it. I also used to like chips and can take them.or leave them now.

As for chocolate.... :-*. Never used to be bothered  ;D

Honeyb
x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 07:44:32 PM »

What a coincidence babyjane - I made fish pie with runner beans tonight!  We've got loads of fish from the sea in the freezer and garden overflowing with runner beans! Can't imagine doing gravy with it though!

I definitely eat less - the metabolism slows down as we age - and also usually have a smaller plate to limit my portions and therefore my weight. Eating less and more often, helps to regulate blood sugar levels.

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:08:54 PM »

I'm not good at eating in the day. I have gone so long trying to eat less my stomach just does not look for anything much in the day.

I will have some fruit though and that's about it.

Honeyb
x

Dyan

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:01:14 PM »

I use to eat spicy foods but have gone off those.
I now drink my tea strong as I can't abide it milky :sick02:
I eat breakfast, mid morning snack,light lunch,afternoon snack and then my evening meal.
I've found eating this way helps with my blood sugar.
Mind you if I'm hungry anytime I will snack on fruit or veg.
I do like sweet things whereas before I was more for savoury foods.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:13:35 PM »

Sometimes food tastes of fish  :beaurk: ……… often my toast or maybe it's the butter thinly spread so I can't eat breakfast. 

I have always needed to fancy foods in order to digest them.  Eggs in particular.  Pizza, fish and chips are also on the 'need to fancy' list but when I do I enjoy them.

Fortunately most of my 'safe' foods are tolerated without too much difficulty; always with ginger and garlic finely chopped.

Weak, black T, 2 sugars; I will drink milk shakes usually flavoured with chocolate.  Coffee occasionally but then I find my appetite disappears  :-\.

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 08:53:16 AM »

This is really interesting, seems its quite common.
 Hurdity I wish I'd known  ;) but the gravy was meant with the shepherd's pie not the fish pie. I'm not always good with my punctuation!  ::) You are fortunate to have access to lots of fresh fish I would love that   :)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:50:58 AM »

Have you spoken to Emma about this ?  Advertising is NOT allowed!

-----------------
Update by Emma: spammer deleted.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:52:57 PM by Emma »

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 11:13:55 AM »

;D babyjane re the gravy!

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »

It's been reported ladies. Don't open the link.

Honeyb
x

-----------------
Update by Emma: spammer deleted.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:53:07 PM by Emma »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 03:48:42 PM »

:thankyou:  ...........

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 04:46:19 PM »

it has gone now, I did wonder what it was about.

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 07:08:43 PM »

We occasionally get spammers babyjane. It's rare as Emma is very on the ball. If you ever see something that you know is not right then click the Report to moderator link and let Emma know.
I have reported two in the last two days......can't remember the last time it happened.

Emma does need a heads up on occasion as she does not have time to read every thing all the time.

Honeyb
x

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 08:41:13 AM »

ok, thanks for the explanation  :)

dulciana

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 03:40:46 PM »

We used to have Chinese carry-outs pretty often but now - because I'm not so keen on them - we hardly ever do.  I eat lots of oranges and apples now, drink milk every evening, have less coffee (although breakfast cup is obligatory), I have to steer myself away from chocolate these days (not like me!), I'm not wildly keen on spicy foods but do have a penchant for Indian pickles or various sorts.............and I still love veg of all descriptions.   Oh, and I'll always like cheese.   ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5