Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Never on the NHS  (Read 7281 times)

Rowan

Never on the NHS
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:49:25 AM »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Never on the NHS
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:35:56 AM »

It could: but <shrug> - in some Asian countries the family goes to Hospital with the patient as food is not provided .......... visitors with grub!

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 12:25:30 PM »

Same with a lot of countries I think.  When hubby was hospitalised in Iraq last October his security guard had to send out for food for the two of them as nothing was provided at the hospital.  He also had to arrange to pay for and pick up his own drugs including needles as they didn't come as part of the "package" etiher ::)

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »

When OH was in hospital I wanted to take some food into him as the meals were so awful but this is frowned on, they really don't like it, so I compromised and took in protein bars which he hid in his locker.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 12:55:05 PM »

I have found that the rules differ from hospital to hospital.

One place encouraged me to bring hubby in food and another said no way.

When I was in having my kids we sent out for food  ;D

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 01:26:36 PM »

I had a procedure carried out  in Poland a few years ago.
Food was provided but it was awful, however the nurses station had menus for the local takeaways who then delivered. OH and the OH of the woman who was in the room with me, disgraced themselves by ordering, and getting beer  ::)

Linsey44

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 06:27:31 PM »

I have been lvery lucky that 3 ops have been in private hospitals and the food has been fantastic.  Someone came round, took your order and brought in each of courses one at a time, so it was served at the right temp.

I remember having fresh home made soup, salmon and fresh veg then panna cotta with exotic fruits.  My hubby could have eaten with me if he had liked and when he seen what I had he wished that he had ordered, apparently the food in his hotel was just ok.  There was also a drinks list that included wine, beer and spirits.  Def never on the nhs.

I will be going for a big op sometime soon on the nhs and my family will be under strict instructions as to what supplies I will be wanting brought in.  To heck if its frowned up, nutrition is vital for a good recovery.

tiger74

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 08:05:17 PM »

Food was fantastic at the NHS hospital where I had a 6 day stay in hospital a while ago - lots of choice.  In fact it was so good that I wouldn't let my hubby pick me up until after lunch on the day I came out!  I took plenty of my favourite soft drinks in with me.  Don't know if it's changed there since.   

If I found myself in a hospital with rubbish food I would have no qualms about sending out for meals or getting someone to bring food in.  What reasons do hospital give for saying "no way" or for "frowning on" this?  It's a free country - surely we can do what suits us and best aids our recovery, if we do this within reason and not inconveniencing other patients?  Perhaps I'm just a rebel.  People in hospital seem to wear nightwear all day too, never understood that either.

Fine to have alcohol if you're going private - you're paying for it anyway, or your insurance company is.  As a tax-payer I wouldn't like to see this offered at NHS hospitals.   

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 08:23:19 PM »

What I meant was....I was encouraged to bring things in, salads sandwiches,yogurt and the nurses would put them in the fridge and give them to hubby for dinner and then lunch the following day.
The next time he was in I asked if I could do the same and was told no, it was against health and safety. It was a different hospital though.

I still took in fruit and salads and he ate those at visiting time as the hospital food was so very bad.

Honeyb
x

tiger74

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 09:12:30 PM »

Aha, I see what you mean, honeybun.  I wouldn't expect to be able to store food at hospital which has been brought in from outside and then have it served later by the nurses.  I can understand that staff are hard-pressed and wouldn't have time to facilitate this.  But taking in food for a patient to eat there and then or save until later (if not too perishable) seems perfectly reasonable to me.  Luckily the hospitals with which I've had contact as a patient or a visitor do seem to be a lot more enlightened about longer and flexible visiting hours.