Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil  (Read 6941 times)

Kimmzi

Mirena coil
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »

Hello lovelies , I know I have left it very late but could do with your thoughts and experience on this one:Update:
Going through premature menopause, been through symptoms of ? Ovarian cancer hopefully the cyst shown on my TVscan is a simple cyst. I haven't had a period for 15 months but had an awful heavy bleed last month. My gynaecologist tomorrow has booked me in for a hysteroscopy & biospsies. However the question I have is, she is recommending having a mirena coil fitted to protect my lining because I can't have HRT treatment due to previous clots.
Has anybody had a coil fitted post menopausal with positive effects?
I need to let her know before surgery, your thoughts are very welcome xx
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:16:57 PM by Kimmzi »

Hurdity

Re: Mirena coil
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »

Hi Kimmzi

Sorry to hear about your problems and hope all is OK re the biopsies etc.

You haven't said how old you are but if it is at all possible to take oestrogen replacment if you are having a premature menopause then I would do so. I am wondering why you can't have HRT? If it is clots in the womb then if you have a coil and it keeps the lining thin, you should be able to add oestrogen without it affecting the womb lining. However I am not your gynae so there may be other reasons eg due to endometriosis in the past?

Many women stop bleeding completely using the Mirena (even while still in their fertile years) - I am sure there are women who are post-menopausal who are using it because if you can tolerate the small amount of progestogen which gets into the system, then it is the ideal way of protecting the womb from added oestrogen as it delivers a continuous stream of progestogen where it is needed.

In your position I would agree to give it a try - although I would want to know the reasons for the bleeding and other symptoms first. In other words I would have the hysteroscopy & biopsies first. Find out what caused the bleeding - or if there is any problem. If this needs treatment then go for that and afterwards yes give the coil a try and if your meno symptoms are bad then try some oestrogen only HRT.

I hope this helps and is clear, not confusing. My head doesn't feel very clear at the moment!

Hurdity x

Kimmzi

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »

Hi Hurdity
Thank you so much for your reply and makes perfect sense.
I am 44, past medical history of 2x PE's (pulmonary embolism), endometrial ablation 8 yrs ago for heavy bleeding .

I think I will go with what us suggested, to have my biopsies and wait for all clear as post menopausal bleeding isn't normal before trying the coil.

Fingers crossed , thank you once again 😀

robotwars

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 07:21:04 PM »

I went to my GP today as I reacted badly to the HRT. I asked about the Mirena coil as I have really heavy periods and bleed for 10 days then stop for a couple of weeks and back on I come, this has been like this for over a year. Anyway my GP today suggested I take the mini pill to see whether my body gets on with the mirena coil. He suggested that I take the mini pill for a couple of months then if I have no side effects I can think about having the coil fitted, as apparently the mini pill contains the same stuff as the coil...... I'm not sure what to think? LOL ;)