Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Moving  (Read 10094 times)

Taz2

Re: Moving
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 07:16:56 AM »

Yes - you're right SL on both places! I live really close to a Roman wall and that has the same feeling too.

I often take myself off to Avebury for a wander when I just want some "me" time and in the winter it's getting quite dark by the time they close the car park. Not sure I would want to camp out on my own there!

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 08:11:51 AM »

I love Avebury. It is so atmospheric. When driving round the beautiful countryside here I imagine how it was in the past. So much history, distant and more recent. I live near an Iron Age fort and even nearer the remains of a WW2 camp and a 11th century church, thatched roofs and old houses.

Rowan

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »

I feel a need sometimes too to be near ancient ruins sometimes I just feel connected,  OH laughs at me when I say this.

One of the places I did feel very odd feelings was at Pompeii, a particular part that felt familiar, I can still see it in my minds eye and feel what I felt.

Very odd I know  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »

I get to be near something ancient most days......My mother.....Sorry couldn't resist  ;D

I feel the same way about the sea. It soothes me, I think it's just the sound of the waves.

Honeyb
x

Ju Ju

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 11:59:37 AM »

I live in a place that soothes me. I feel connected to nature here. When we travelled round the world, we saw many beautiful sights, but realised how much we love home. We also realised how we appreciate the old architecture in this country.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 01:00:51 PM »

Ely (Cambs) is on the spit - Hereward the Wake and all that  ::) …….. ague was common  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 01:42:36 PM »

Didn't know about the spit? What does that mean?

Taz x  :-\

Rowan

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 02:48:03 PM »

Think he try to use it as weapon to defend himself but was overpowered as far as I can remember. Something to do with the fall of Ely.

Perhaps it means something else entirely.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 03:38:34 PM »

A gravel spit  ::) which is why the Cathedral is built way above the Fen.  Which was marsh land and only the fen tigers knew their ways through the reed beds along the causeways.  'Ship of the Fens' she's known as  ;)

Rowan

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 04:10:24 PM »

There is a story about Hereward the wake and the spit, there are many legends and stories about him some think that Hereward the Wake was seen as an English hero and as a symbol of resistance to oppression, legends about Hereward the Wake were later incorporated into the legends about Robin Hood.

Not heard about the gravel spit that the Ely was built on if that is what you meant.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:33:54 PM by silverlady »

Taz2

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 04:17:44 PM »

You mean clay CLKD - there is a clay island - can't remember what's it called - that the cathedral is built on. 

The Fen Tigers opposed the drainage didn't they? Wasn't Oliver Cromwell involved somewhere along the line?

Taz x  ::)

Rowan

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »

Can't find anything about a gravel spit CLKD what is a gravel spit? You will have to enlightened us about it. As Taz says Ely was built on a Clay island. Wikipedia says it was called Jurassic Kimmeridge Clay.

I do love any thing about Ely and its history.
Pages: 1 [2]