Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: TV news is so depressing  (Read 11297 times)

Joyce

TV news is so depressing
« on: August 20, 2014, 06:25:24 AM »

Not getting into the politics of all this, but the news today is so sad. All the journalists who get caught up in conflicts. I fear where these troubles will all end up. I know that world has never been totally at peace, but current conflicts are very scary! 

I worry for my kids & their kids.

Taz2

Re: TV news is so depressing
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 06:50:40 AM »

Worry about what you can change though CG and not what you can't. I agree about the news but it focuses so much on the bad things happening that's it's easy to forget that there are good people in the world too. I have one very close friend who has made the decision not to listen to the international news at all and has stopped buying a paper because it made her feel very depressed.

No matter how much you worry about the way your kids and their kids will be affected it wont change a thing - easy to say I know - I do the same.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 06:54:04 AM »

The world does seem to be a much scarier place now.

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:10:02 AM »

It is honeybun, they are goading and trying to force the Wests hands and it is frightening and for what that's what I can never understand.

Its poverty and ignorance that's the enemy not us.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 07:49:42 AM »

Yes it is scary. And even scarier is that the leaders do not learn from the lessons of the past.

I rarely read the papers, as bad news seems to be 'good' news. How often do we hear about what happens next, how people get on, once new 'top' stories overtake the old ones?

Some sections of the media are truly irresponsible, desperate for a juicy story. I remember my husband's disgust, as a police officer, having to shield devastated relatives going to an inquest, after a fatal accident. They were shouting questions like how do they feel.

Taz is right, though, is concern yourself about what you can change, not what you can't. What are the consequences of the kind, thoughtful loving things that you do today? What affect can you have just by smiling ay a stranger?

dulciana

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:27:07 PM »

Yes. :'(    Know what helps me?  The prayer of St. Theresa (if it's OK to say that here.)

bramble

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 08:58:43 PM »

It is ok to say that here - and it is a lovely prayer.
Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »

The World has always been a scary place, remember the Crusades?  That was us going 'over there'.  Many disputes can find England at the basis of it all ……….

It should be like a puddle: drop a little bit of care into friends and family and watch it spread outwards  ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 06:06:26 PM »

The ripple effect. Even a smile to a stranger you pass on the street can make an impact. I know when someone smiles at me it has a positive effect. I pass the smile on. I know how I feel when I am at the receiving end of acts of kindness. You may not be able to change the world in a big way, but you can influence those around you, which will ripple on.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »

It does depend on where you live as to how the smile will be received  ::) ………

:hug:

oldsheep

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »

Yes, and that's sad. If you smile at someone in London, they look straight through you. Only exceptions are when it's a really lovely day, or sometimes with an elderly person.

The news is depressing and upsetting, but I'd rather know what is going on than live with my head in the sand. I don't suppose news of any era has been any better really. Can't think of a period when human beings have been nice to each other!

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »

For friendliness and chatty people you can't beat Scotland. It's the one thing I find strange when I come south of the border. Everyone is very reserved with strangers.

It's almost impossible for people not to talk to you up here. Glasgow is renowned for that. It might drive some people up the wall but it's what I'm used to......in fact I do it myself.  ;D

I guess it all depends on where you stay..Cities can be very anonymous places, guess that's why I like fairly rural places.

Honeyb
x

Trey

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »

Next month we are moving to a town of 2000, with outlying areas totally not more than 12,000.  It is such an old fashioned small town feeling, but still has lots,of goods and bads.  Lots of folks there come for the friendliness and in many ways, we will be escaping much of the real world as quite remote and 7600 feet elevation in the Colorado Rockies.  The 'news' is often from listening to personal radio scanners, especially when it snows in winter.  Folks tend to help each other.  I would be the 'nurse' someone else the good cook, one of the men would take his ATV with a snow blade and rid our driveways of four feet of snow.  So escape is part of the plan. 

I feel the modern world has the means for destruction and that we are reaching some sort of tipping point.  Interesting that Canada seems to stay out of the international news.  I have my passport ready as I was born in Canada and never renounced citizenship, my parents renounced it for their children, so technically I can become a Canadian citizen at will. 

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 04:11:28 PM »

Sounds good Trey - exciting times ahead!!

Old Sheep - I think it must depend on which part of London you're in? I'm not sure that we can generalise really. There are friendly and unfriendly places in all cities and, to be honest, villages are not always the friendliest of places either.  In the biggest town to us it is sometimes difficult to strike up a conversation because the other person doesn't speak English and I don't speak whichever language they speak. They still smile though which is great.

Taz x

babyjane

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 06:20:58 PM »

I find it can be like that in the same street. We have lovely neighbours and those living a few doors away will always chat without imposing but the guy opposite hasn't spoken to us for over 5 years simply because we did not do something that he wanted us to do. And I used to go in and have coffee with his wife before that day he took a huff with us!
Pages: [1] 2 3