Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello all - another newbie  (Read 1426 times)

Mrs_Tea

Hello all - another newbie
« on: August 19, 2014, 10:23:26 AM »

I'm 56 and doing ok apart from the horrible hot flushes.  I don't want to go on HRT so wonder if anyone has found anything that helps  :o

Taz2

Re: Hello all - another newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:26:26 AM »

Hi Mrs_Tea - welcome to the forum!

Can't advise on alternatives to HRT as I went straight for that option when flushes got too much but there will be others along soon who have tried the alternative route.

Have a look at the menu on the left of the screen under Alternative Therapies for some ideas.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

tiger74

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:31:54 AM »

Hello,

I'm not able to take HRT.  Luckily the day-time hot flushes aren't too bad but the night sweats are a pain and disturb my sleep.  Do you get night sweats too?  I've found that having a very thin single duvet helps somewhat (my husband has his own thicker single duvet so he's comfortable too, next to me in bed).  Also I invested in a Chillow which I put in a thin pillow-case next to me and roll onto it if I do overheat.

Best wishes, hope you find something that works for you.   

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 12:07:24 PM »

:welcomemm:

Only thing which has worked for me is HRT. I tried alternatives, GP even prescribed  Clonidine, but it didn't help either.

Chillows are good for night, but I also have some "cool" scarves which are great for during the day.

Mrs_Tea

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 04:38:32 PM »

Thanks for replies - it's great to have found this forum and not be alone! 

I don't really get night sweats, just turning beetroot red and sweltering several times during the day.  Luckily they don't last long, but I look a sight!

What are cool scarves  - sounds like a good idea.  I'll check out the Alternative section now.