Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello, another newbie here  (Read 1349 times)

hanging.on.in.there

Hello, another newbie here
« on: August 19, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »

Hello, another new member here and the first forum I have ever posted on- it may not work therefore !
So pleased to have found you all, menopause really isn't a subject that most friends or colleagues are comfortable discussing, nor do I particularly want to do so with them, as it then becomes your defining characteristic in their eyes and risks being the first thing anyone mentions to you.
I'm amazed that this really is still a taboo- like subject. I am generally very open, feminist, right-on and ' modern' ( my little joke word) but I am genuinely reluctant to discuss this 'offline', as so much ignorance and negative stereotyping still surrounds menopausal women.

Anyway, I'm here because I want to moan about hot flushes and a thumping headache with people who might actually be sympathetic !

:)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello, another newbie here
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 05:51:03 PM »

:welcomemm:  you'll fit in here just fine!  Browse round, use the search button.  Have you read the menus, left of screen; we have a 'funny' room too!

Mrs_Tea

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:33:32 PM »

Hello, I've just joined too, and for the very reasons you have.  It's the one thing you just can't talk about - or maybe don't want to - as you say you don't want it to define you.  I'm hoping for some support and advice.  I've just ordered a couple of books by Glenville (found them in the menu on the left) about natural remedies and diet, so will report if it they are helpful.

:welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 08:51:37 PM »

Hi hanging.on.in.there

:welcomemm:

This was the first forum I joined too, when I started having problems with HRT - and I have found it so helpful.

I quite agree about it still being taboo, and especially in a work situation with younger males - I just didn't want them to know how old I might be or to feel in any way diminished in their eyes. With all the best will in the world - and yes I agree re supposed feminism, it shouldn't matter, it's only society's view etc etc - I just didn't talk about it, and still don't except with older women my age-ish who I know have gone through it (I'm now 61). I still wouldn't want my sons' friends to know for example - because it means admitting I'm old and past it and I hate that society makes me feel that way and that I subscribe to it too.

Anyway do moan away as much as you like! If you need any advice about treatments etc we can try to help!

Hurdity x