Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: cider vinegar instead of calcium tablets?  (Read 8385 times)

oldsheep

cider vinegar instead of calcium tablets?
« on: August 15, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »

Swedish woman I know says 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar a day has helped her osteopenia return to within normal limits. She loves natural therapies and is wary of tablets, so I just wondered if anyone had any info or opinion on this?
I'm supposed to take calcium daily but never remember. I have a nasty family history of osteoporosis and when last scanned about 5 years ago, I had osteopenia.
Anyone know how often the NHS allows scanning and do you have to request it or do you get recalled when it's due?

tiger74

Re: cider vinegar instead of calcium tablets?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:57:45 AM »

Hi

There are some interesting comments on this recent thread as regards eligibility for and frequency of DEXA scans which you might find useful.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,25220.msg386630.html#msg386630

Personally I have taken Calcichew-D3 Forte (NHS prescription) since going on oestrogen-blocking meds in 2010 (and then having prophylactic BSO in 2011) and have experienced no untoward loss in bone density so I'm a big advocate of dietary and supplementary calcium.

I don't know much about cider vinegar so won't venture an opinion on that but I was wondering how you will remember to take 2 teaspoons of it every day if you 'never remember' to take calcium tablets?

If I may also offer an opinion on the question you pose about recall for NHS screening appointments....  in my experience this is one area that does not always work in the NHS.  Due to various genetic and personal health factors I am screened regularly in a few different specialties and have invariably had to chase up appointments when they are due and firmly believe in some cases that I would not have been recalled 'automatically' had I not been on the ball.  So I suggest you check with your GP or perhaps with the National Osteoporosis Society about whether you fit the criteria to be scanned again (sounds like you probably do) and then get a referral from your GP and then ring the scanning dept at your local hospital if you don't hear anything within a reasonable length of time.  Five years sounds like a long time since your last bone density scan especially with your personal history of osteopenia and  family history of osteoporosis.         

All the best.  I hope you get a good result.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:50:53 AM by tiger74 »

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 09:29:35 PM »

Thanks Tiger x
I'll chase it up - my local hospital is one of the 3 most broke in England so imagine that you do indeed need to push for scans.
I was on the same calcichew D3 tablet but it's been reviewed and changed to something cheaper. I got a letter from the practice about it.
I'd remember to take the cider vinegar as it's a huge bottle from Makro that takes up a good deal of my kitchen counter space ! (Small kitchen in my flat). The calcium tabs are in a cupboard with all my other supplements. I'm off to take one now. Thanks again

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 04:45:03 PM »

I thought i had responded to this  ::)  :-\ ……… when Mum had polymyalgia rheumatica in the 1980s she drank apple cider vinegar …….. it's also given to chickens to rid the gut of parasites. (Oh I remember, the laptop locked up and wouldn't post anything  :( …………. )

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 05:26:49 PM »

Do take care with apple cider vinegar and dilute it well as it can burn your stomach

http://www.livestrong.com/article/499789-apple-cider-vinegar-hurts-my-stomach/

I am one of those who can't tolerate it unless it is well diluted.

You can buy in mixed with honey.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 08:00:47 PM »

Why mix honey and vinegar - honey is a natural antiseptic and the only food stuff that can't go 'off'.  I think Mum dilutes the cider vinegar, will have to ask. 

Rowan

oldsheep

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:25:37 AM »

I'm not supposed to eat apples or honey (diet I'm on for IBS) and cider vinegar is revolting. Not sure what I can dilute it in?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 09:06:14 AM »

If you don't like it then even diluting it in tap water won't help.  Do you find cutting out honey etc. helps the IBS?

Apples of course, like vinegar, are acidic!

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »

I was taught that apples were alkaline and I do have Diploma in Nutrition

http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:52:37 AM by silverlady »

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »

Hi oldsheep - just thought that if your main problem with calcium tablets is remembering to take them then you may have the same problem with the cider vinegar? As the calcium tablets are a proven remedy then I would have thought it would be better to set yourself a reminder alarm on your phone to take the tablets.

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 01:20:58 PM »

I think that eating an apple a day which contains Boron may be better then apple cider vinegar and tastes much better

http://www.reverseosteopenia.com/boron-for-osteoporosis/

That's if you like natural therapies.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:28:11 PM by silverlady »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »

I don't like apples  ::) nor eggs; we have fruit trees and chickens  :D

If ever we had a wasp sting an apple would be bitten in half and the juice rubbed into the sting area: wasp stings need winigar, bees need bicarb.  Apples are acidic !

Rowan

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 03:48:54 PM »

Sorry CLKD you are wrong about apples

ALKALIZING FRUITS
 Apple
 Apricot
 Avocado
 Banana (high glycemic)
 Berries
 Blackberries
 Cantaloupe

http://vividlife.me/ultimate/4948/the-healthiest-choice-top-10-alkaline-foods-for-your-diet/

Check the links.
 Cherries, sour
 Coconut, fresh
 Currants
 Dates, dried
 Figs, dried
 Grapes
 Grapefruit
 Honeydew Melon
 Lemon
 Lime
 Muskmelons
 Nectarine 
 Peach
 Pear
 Pineapple
 Raisins
 Raspberries
 Rhubarb
 Strawberries
 Tangerine
 Tomato
 Tropical Fruits
 Umeboshi Plums
 Watermelon

ACIDIFYING FRUITS
 Blueberries
 Canned or Glazed Fruits
 Cranberries
 Currants
 Plums**
 Prunes**

Sorry to go on about this but this is what we were taught at college. Apples contain malic acid but become alkalising when eaten. Some people can be allergic or sensitive to malic acid but can eat cooked apples.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:10:46 PM by silverlady »

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 04:11:22 PM »

My DH is a chemist - apples contain maelic acid  :-X. Don't know which Course you were on or what the qualifications of the tutor was  :sigh:  …………

Any fruit that is sour contains acid.  Cherries can be acidic, dependant upon the type, they can also be sweet i.e. for cooking.  Plums are sour until ripened by the sun.

What's a musk-melon?  Some melons I adore, the same with mangoes …… again, dependant upon the country of origin.

A prune is a dried plum.  I love those, however eaten ………..

I love onions but fresh/pickled they made me very very ill …….. boiled for hours, I can digest them i.e. chutneys. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:13:17 PM by CLKD »
Pages: [1] 2