Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: new member, aching!  (Read 4003 times)

jess

new member, aching!
« on: September 22, 2014, 11:11:54 AM »

Hi. I am 56, post meno and on hrt. I went on hrt specifically for the awful aches I was experiencing, in bed, mostly as I woke. Not joints as such, but a general all over felt like I was run over by a bus ache! Hrt helped (nearly a year now) but recently they have sneaked back slowly, specifically my legs. Anyone else relate to this? Why would it come back? It must be meno related for it to have gone away surely?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: new member, aching!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:56:21 AM »

Because hormones fluctuate your meds may need a hike up or down in order to 'keep up' with any changes.   ::)

I sleep heavier than before so I often wake stiff and 'set' in position  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 07:56:45 PM »

Do you know when the date of your last natural period was jess?

Our oestrogen levels decline for around two years following this and then continue at the same low level for ever - could it be that your oestrogen has bottomed out (!) and you are noticing this despite the HRT? What type and dose are you taking? Perhaps you could increase a little?

Hurdity  x

meno lesley

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:36:15 PM »

Hi Jess

I am also 56 and post meno, I had 2 years after my periods stopped with hardly any problems then hit by all sorts 4 years ago. One of the first was waking with all my bones hurting, it has gone and come back over the years but have been on several hrts along this journey.

Lesley x

jess

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 06:01:42 PM »

Oooh thanks lesley, thought as not much response I was the only person who has this symptom!     I think my last period was 2 or 3 years ago, I can't remember.....  I am on kliovance. Went on it a year ago. My symptoms were more post meno than peri meno....

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 07:07:16 PM »

jess - it could well be that your oestrogen levels are now at rock bottom as I said in my post, if your last period was 2-3 years ago - that sounds about right. The other possibility is that the progestgoen which you are taking continuously could be giving you constant low grade side effects.

You could possibly try either an increase in dose, (although looking at the menu you would have to double it and that in itself could lead to side effects at least initially) or change to a transdermal method ie patch or gel? Alternatively you could try a different type of HRT, for example, Femoston which has a progestogen more closely related to the one in our own body and see if this would make a difference? The latter also has a low dose (1 mg estradiol - the same as you are on) and an ultra low dose (0.5 mg estradiol) so theoretically if you changed and the 1 mg was not sufficient, you would be able to increase by 0.5 mg which might be enough for you?

Hurdity x

jess

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 07:11:41 PM »

Thanks hurdity. If it continues I will go back to docs and discuss. X

groundhog

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 09:00:06 PM »

Hi Jess - I am coming uo to 3 yrs since last period - I wake up feeling like I've fallen down stairs !  Aching around lower ribs,  shoulders and hips.  I do have chrons disease so that is being held culprit.  But the more I read about aching joints and meno I do wonder.  I wake most mornings about 5am and can't lie in bed.  I take ibuprofen which helps a bit but I still toss and turn until it's time to get up.  I'm not on HRT for medical reasons. 
Hope you get some answers soon - it's quite debilitating and very tiring to have constantly disturbed sleep.
Xx

jess

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »

Yes groundhog. I used to be able to lay in - I can't anymore. Since post meno I wake up b4 6 and am wide awake. I then become aware of the aching but lay there refusing to get up earlier than I have to, desperately trying to go back off. I should get up because once I start walking around the aches go!

karin

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »

I get this also, I've had the aching for a few years- I'm 51 now. It occasionally flares up in a joint as the most indescribable pain I've ever had and no pain killer touches it. ive had a hundred tests and nothing pin points its cause. Since adding iron to my diet and avoided direct weight baring the flare ups are reduced, I'm hoping hrt will help also, we feel your pain!! Xx

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 05:19:17 PM »

I have had aching in my calves and soles of feet since around 2009 which was when i felt that the peri menopause really got going. I have now been period free for about 8 months but have previously had an 8 month gap followed by just one very short bleed. So far I haven't taken any HRT but am wondering whether to make an appointment with one of the  older nurses at the GP practice. I don't like discussing it with male doctors.
It is also worse in the morning and at the end of the day if I have done a lot of walking. I'd really like to try and find a relief as walking is my favourite form of  exercise.

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 07:23:44 PM »

Hi katejo - good luck with your discussion but I don't think your nurses will be able to prescribe HRT so you might be better off having the discussion with the doc. if that's what you are wanting. Are there no female GPs you can see - every practice should have one!!!

Hurdity x

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 06:51:36 PM »

My practice does have female GP's but they are mostly young. That's why I wanted to talk to the nurse first. They are a bit older than I am. I keep putting off trying after one offhand negative comment about HRT some time ago.

LizeeeH

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »

My practice also have female GP's and they are useless! first I was too old for meno ( Im 56) then she'd NEVER heard of joint pain due to meno blah blah blah >:(

Oh welcome to the mad house ;D

Liz xxxxx

jess

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 05:26:58 PM »

One of our gps is female and she knows about body aches cos she has them too! But she told me to take vit d3.....which I did but it made no difference. It was male gp who said go on hrt, which of corse did the trick up until recently.