Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Apprehensive newbie!  (Read 7514 times)

Jmb

Apprehensive newbie!
« on: August 14, 2014, 09:40:44 PM »

Hi everyone I've put up with hot flushes, anxiety and night sweats for 6 months now. My last period was 2 years ago. Ive tried all natural remedies and alternative therapies and sadly nothing has helped much. I'm a reluctant pill taker.  I've also have been suffering from terrible mood swings and having temper tantrums which would compare well to that of a toddlers!
I went to the docs a week ago at breaking point and she convinced me that HRT was the way forward. She has put me on 1 femoston-conti 1mg/5mg daily  I'm also using vagifem 10 micrograms for 2 weeks nightly and then 1 at night twice weekly.
So far side effects have been a headache today but I've also lost weight which is unusual for me. I'm 8 stone and my weight is always steady so it must be the pills. Is this common? From what I've heard in the media weight gain seems to be more of a problem. Thank you.

Dancinggirl

Re: Apprehensive newbie!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 07:20:21 AM »

Hi and Welcome Jmb
Please don't be frightened.  Femoston is well liked by many women as the progesterone in it is a kinder version so often brings fewer side effects.  You are on a low dose and if it reduces your meno symptoms then this is a good - you can go on a higher dose if need be.
Vagifem will help with any discomfort you are getting with the 'lady parts' and also help with bladder issues.  It's good to hear a GP is 'on the ball' about treating meno symptoms.  All too often they simply offer anti depressants which can help in some cases but don't address the vast majority of menopause issues.
Though HRT didn't make me loose weight, I did find it kept my waistline - now I'm off HRt I am definitely struggling to keep the weight off my tummy and hips.
A few headaches is quite common while on HRT but this may settle as your body adjusts.
I personally think you have been given a good regime, so stick with it and in a short while you may find you are feeling a bit more human.  The first thing you may notice is that you are sleeping better.  Keep us posted.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »

Hi Jmb - good advice from Stellajane and Dancinggirl. Can't really add anything.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 05:34:50 PM »

Hi Jmb

Your GP sounds good - hang onto her if you can.

:welcomemm:

Jmb

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:31:09 PM »

Thank you everyone for your help. It's really good to have people around who understand. So far so good after 2 weeks. :D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:15:53 PM »

:welcomemm:

Jmb

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »

:)well nearly 28 days done on femoston-conti. I feel so much better, no rages, no sweats in the night and actually getting much more sleep. I hope it continues! The vagifem seems to have dealt with the bladder issues. I felt very positive until........a good friend saw me today and I confided in her that I've gone down the HRT route. I hadnt told anyone. She was very negative about it & said that patches or gel would be better as it's better for your liver to not take tablets. However my doctor told me a lot of woman get skin irritations with patches or they can be a bit tricky for some people. My friend says most women in France use gel or patches as they are much safer. I'm on a low dose 1/5 but my friend did make me sigh.

Suzyq

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 02:44:06 AM »

Whatever works for you is good - try not to listen to others, listen to your body!! Whilst patches or gel may be considered better, they don't work for everybody! I started with gel and had a torrid time, but others love it - just enjoy feeling well!!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 08:19:55 AM »

If you are doing well on the Femoston then stick with it - you are on a low dose after all.
The progesterone is obviously suiting you and sadly you can't get that progesterone separately so you could use it with gel or patch. If you were to change to gel or patch (they can be great ) unfortunately the progesterone options are not so great.  Utrogestan which would be the alternative progesterone you could use doesn't suit everyone on a conti basis as it can make you feel fatigued.
Don't listen to others - listen to your body.  I hope you continue to feel good.  Dg x

Jmb

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »

Is it possible to get femoston conti by patches or gel? I have been period free for 2 years and I know that you can only take certain types of hrt in that case.

Milamam

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »

Hi Jmb, as far as I know, Femoston is available only in tablet form.

peegeetip

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 02:12:31 PM »

There are a lot of articles that progesterone helps burn more calories (200-300 roughly extra per day depending on what you read). Wish that worked for me :)

Also fluid retention can push our weight up or down quickest.
If your doing well on Conti it might be helping settle down any retention you may have had however slim you are :P

I agree with the others your on low dose so don't worry about it.

This cheered me up btw
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24697.0.html
This one made me glad I was on tablets :D No doubt I'd end up with an errant patch when I least needed it  :o

You've got a good doc there hang on to her and keep getting better.
 :-*

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »

Jmb - dont' let your friend undermine your confidence in Femoston.  Your doc is right, patches don't suit everyone.  Unfortunately the progesterone in Femoston is not available in any other form (patch or gel) so if it suits you then Femoston is the only option for you.  You are on a low dose so stop worrying.
You can go back to having withdrawal bleeds even when post menopause but if you are feeling good don't change.  It is not that pills are bad for your liver, it is just that some women get fewer problems using transdermal - everyone is different. i think it is understandable that some women feel the HRT they are using is the best but it is about finding the preparation that suits you. Stay strong.  DG x

Jmb

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 05:41:06 PM »

Thank you to everybody who has posted! I feel so good on this medication , in fact I feel the best I have in over a year, and was sent into panic mode by my negative friend!!
I'm sticking to the pills!
Xxx ;D

Jmb

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »

I've not had many side effects so far apart from getting a bad headache once a month and weight loss. I'm on my second pack of 28 femoston conti 1mg/5mg . I have been keeping a diary . Interestingly the bad headache I had yesterday all day was on exactly the same day again, the 10th day but I also had a little feeling in the right side of my pelvis, my ovary I reckon. Any thoughts?
Pages: [1] 2