Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cliff Richard  (Read 13829 times)

honeybun

Re: Cliff Richard
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 05:50:56 PM »

I truly hope he is as white as the driven snow......but these allegations take the people who adorned bedroom walls and drag them through the gutter.

I was a bit too young to be a Cliff fan but my sister who is 13 years older than me was a huge fan. We shared a bedroom until she got married when I was 9. As a very very young child I remember his poster on "our"  bedroom wall.

It's just horrible.

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 06:02:27 PM »

I lived abroad when all the Cliff and the Beatles were all the rage so never got into them, I do remember listening to Elvis Presley's "Are you lonesome Tonight" and starting to like him about twelve or thirteen then.

Katejo

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »

I heard Cliff's name mentioned in this context earlier today and was shocked. I really hope that it comes to nothing but then I hoped the same with Rolf Harris! I am finding it really sad too to have this shadow over personalities from my childhood. Of course, if they are guilty, then it has to happen but i wish they weren't.

Joyce

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 09:35:33 PM »

I used to have a poster of him on my bedroom wall too, in my mid teens. Although I've often thought he was gay, I find it hard to believe he would go against his Christian values. But, who knows?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 07:44:50 PM »

An MP has raised the question as to who tipped off the Press?  Apparently Cliff was un-aware that his property was going to be 'raided' sorry searched ………. there is no further mention that he was 'questioned by Police in Portugal' either so was that made up by the media ……..  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 02:12:26 PM »

NO Case to Answer  :bounce:

Dorothy

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 04:45:44 PM »

The sad thing for those who are cleared is that the public will still remember they were investigated, so they will always be regarded as tainted even if they were totally innocent.  I do feel that famous people should be allowed to remain anonymous, at least until any case comes to trial.  Too easy for someone who either hates a celebrity or just wants notoriety to make an accusation & then sit back, knowing that the very fact the person has been accused will be hugely damaging to them.

Ju Ju

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 04:51:50 PM »

One of the accusers is appealing about the case being dropped. The trouble about cases like this is that mud sticks. Sadly when they say there is no case to be answered it  could mean they couldn't find evidence or enough evidence. The doubt remains, which is terrible if someone is innocent. Gloria's Huunniford spoke very well on his behalf on the radio.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 05:20:29 PM »

Pity that Cilla didn't live long enough to see this.

In the UK someone is innocent until proven guilty.  If someone makes incorrect accusations they should be named. 

Dorothy

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 06:55:44 PM »

Pity that Cilla didn't live long enough to see this.

In the UK someone is innocent until proven guilty.  If someone makes incorrect accusations they should be named.

The problem in these cases is that if the accuser knew he or she was going to be named if there was insufficient evidence to prove their claim, no one would ever come forward.  Abuse victims need tremendous courage to report their abusers, even if they receive maximum support.  Which is why I think the accused person should not be named unless they go to trial - if it is a false allegation, no evidence will be found, so no one need ever know about it.

I also think that if the abuser has died, he or she should not be named, because they are no longer in a position to hurt anyone, and all naming them does is cause terrible suffering to the innocent family members who are still alive.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 08:02:07 PM »

Good reply!   :thankyou:  more eloquent than I could put it!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:51:19 PM by CLKD »

Ju Ju

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 08:36:12 AM »

Should this have been the case with Jimmy Savile though? Sadly there is no black and white answer.

Dorothy

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 08:25:11 PM »

In Jimmy Saville's case, investigating his actions uncovered systematic abuse by many other people.  So yes, it should have been investigated, but investigations don't always have to be made public.  The focus should be on minimising suffering and preventing further abuse.  If the abuser is still alive, then there is no way of protecting the family because it is more important to ensure that the abuser cannot abuse again.  But if he or she is dead, then they are no longer a risk to anyone, so there is no need to cause their family suffering.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 01:13:21 PM »

Chris Evans to be interviewed  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 03:07:19 PM »

No - according to the papers this morning, historical 'abuse'  :sigh:

I didn't think that I had type this here I had aimed it in another thread  :-\

However: he, Paul Gambaccini and another guy are setting up an Action Group for people wrongfully accused of sexual offences.
Pages: 1 [2]