Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello everyone ... I'm a bit sore 'down under'  (Read 3947 times)

gorgeous fluffpot

Hello everyone ... I'm a bit sore 'down under'
« on: August 12, 2014, 12:13:20 PM »

Hello everyone and thank you for letting me join your forum.  Can I introduce myself.

Aged 56, no children, happily married.  All sounds good.  Menopause was even a bit of a breeze as I snubbed the hormone replacement route and rather (rashly now, it seems) decided to do it as our grandmothers did, just get on with it.  Apart from the hot flushes, anxiety, weight gain, etc., it's not been too bad.

But I did get a frozen shoulder last year which the doctor said was also called 'Fifties Shoulder'  Typically post-menopausal ladies whose oestrogen levels were low ... all sorted now (thank you, Neil Asher Technique) but it flagged up that oestrogen seems to play an important part in body bits other than the reproductive organs.

But ... and here comes the painful bit .... my *ahem* ladygarden has been dry and like sandpaper for a long time.   I've used lube galore, all sorts, but it's been increasing painful and difficult and the last time my husband attempted to sail up my tunnel of love he couldn't, it was like a physical blockage.  Oh, and the post-sex pain ... ow ow ouch.

My doctor prescribed oestrogen cream which I slapped up a-plenty.  No joy.  I've tried trainer dilators and even the smallest one was difficult and uncomfortable.  I've bought the Yes-Yes-Yes lubes and whacked them up there, still nothing. Then the doc thought I might have a prolapsed uterus and recommended me to a gyne.  Yesterday's examination was gentle, but blinking painful ... I'm sitting here gingerly and feel like a wagon train ran through.  The diagnosis:  vaginal atrophy.  And a pretty bad and advanced case with no turning back, according to him.  Apparently, if you have VA and you're childless, then the symptoms can be more extreme, the vagina hasn't been stretched and mine seems to have pretty much closed up.  He says that if I'd taken hormones as I started menopause then it wouldn't have been as bad.

So I'd welcome advice from other ladies.  Is vaginal atrophy reversible? 

Apologies for long first post.  This is probably rather rude, perhaps I should have done a short introduction first and waited before giving vent.  But I'm bursting with questions, so many of them.  And I welcome your advice and opinions.  I'm definitely getting a second opinion but would appreciate other's experiences and opinions.

By the way, if I didn't already say it then "hello".  And thanks, already, for what I know will be supportive and helpful feedback.

honeybun

Re: Hello everyone ... I'm a bit sore 'down under'
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:27:10 PM »

:welcomemm:

I am no great expert on this but you will gets loads of help soon.

Has Vagifem been suggested to you. It's also not too late for you to take HRT as many ladies need both. I you search for a member called SuziQ then you can read her story. She is no so much better but it did take a while. It will give you hope
 There is also a member called Dancinggirl who I'm sure will be along soon to offer advice.

Have a hunt around in the meantime.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »

My thread might help too, if only I could remember what I called it  ::) - off to do a search.

Will bump the threads.  Welcome, have a browse round.  From your description it might well be vaginal atrophy …… which requires replacement oestrogen applied 'up there' …...

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »

Hi and welcome
Sadly I must welcome you to the rather big club of ladies who have this embarrassing and often distressing problem.
I've used HRT for many years but still got problems with my 'lady parts' - pain, burning, UTI type symptoms(but no infection!!) etc.
I've tried Ovestin, Vagifem and Gynest - even used two at the same time but am now using the Estring which gives a constant low dose of oestrogen but is slightly stronger than the other treatments.  AFter around 6 months I've had an improvement. 
I'd say it is well worth continuing oestrogen treatment - if you can get Vagifem (this suits lots of ladies) and after the initial 2 week daily dose, then go on to use it at least 3 times a week for a while and you may get some improvement - I'm afraid the doctors will tell you to use it twice a week but not long ago they reduced the strength of Vagifem from 25 mg to 10mg so it isn't as effective.  The Estring is a latex ring that you insert into the vagina and it stays in place for 3 months - I've found this the best option but you may find you can't use it yet if you have access issues!!! :-\.
Read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen. 
I would definitely not give up hope yet - it could take 6-12 months but it's worth persevering. Lots and lots of oestrogen could bring improvement.
Keep us posted.. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 04:20:12 PM »

I couldn't find SuziQ's thread  :(

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 04:58:47 PM »

Hi gorgeous fluffpot (!!)

:welcomemm:

Just to add I agree with what others have said.

Here is the link to the menu on the left about vaginal problems:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php

Follow the tabs down from that one.

Also the treatments here under HRT preparations:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Sounds like you do need a higher dose. The damage isn't reversible ie your bits don't regrow but vaginal oestrogen plumps up the tissues that are there so that they do not get so sore and less liable to infection.

There's a good back magazine article about Vaginal Atrophy (VA) here - the first bit is mainly the result of a survey but keep reading and there is a lot of helpful information:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-vaginal-atrophy.php

You didn't say when you went through the menopause but if higher dose vaginal oestrogen does not work, then it should still be poissible to use systemic HRT at your age - although finding the right one is crucial to avoid side effects, and depends on how bad your symptoms (eg flushes and sweats) still are. This should help with the joint problems too.

Hurdity x

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 03:59:13 PM »

hello I joined today and I noticed your title.  I have vaginal atrophy and have shrivelled up, dried up and disappeared. I used to read this forum as a guest and found a lot of advice and reassurance about this and as a result I have used vagifem for some time now. it isn't a cure all and sometimes I need Gynest cream on the outside as well but it is comfortable and I am not always thinking about my bits now. But full sex has not been on the menu for a long time because that is really too much to cope with, feel like being ripped open with a jagged knife but there are other ways to be intimate, you don't have to do the lot and if it leaves you so sore then it is not a happy thing for either of you.