Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie nerves!  (Read 4859 times)

Angela68

Newbie nerves!
« on: August 11, 2014, 04:25:20 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm new today!.....feels weird being 'new' rather than 'old'  :-\ which is how I feel most days!
Just out of the docs today, new GP as my old one retired, to say he was horrible is an understatement! He kept telling me my heart palps and my severe anxiety was nothing to do with me being menopausal! That is a myth he said, heart palps and anxiety as well as my severe joint pain is NOTHING to do with the Menopause.??? I kept trying to say but, he would not listen!

I came away with Anti depressants even though I told him I didn't want them, I only wanted a mild dose of diazepam just to keep with me at work in case my panic attacks came back! I Usually can cope but when I cant, it helps to know I have something to calm me down and not embarrass myself.
As for the joint pain, I got ibuprofen and that was it basically, not interested, would not give me anything stronger nor give me diazepam as they are addictive, as are anti depressants I said, but apparently they are not according to him, you can come of anti depressants anytime without any side effects so he said!

I feel so angry to be told menopause does not cause heart palps nor joint pain nor anxiety! yet even on the NHS website these are listed as symptoms!

Thank you for listening to my rant ladies.

Angela.xx :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie nerves!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:54:32 PM »

:welcomemm:

:bang: :bang: :bang: ……. why won't GPs listen to their patients ……… GPs like this should be struck off!

Have a browse round, read menus - left of screen - does your surgery have a practice nurse?  Is there a pharmacy in your town, maybe have a chat in private with the Pharmatist to see which Practice serves women menopause advice etc. best in your area.

ADs are cheaper and quicker than listening and prescribing the 'correct' medication  >:(.  Is there another Practice close by?

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »

Hello Angela68 and welcome to the forum.

There are many knowledgeable ladies here who will be able to advise you and offer support, heck, I may even chime in again myself.  The reason I'm posting now is to say it loud and clear:

Your GP is an idiot.

Take care and keep posting, help is at hand.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »

You could take your Practice Manager information about this web-site ……… find out whether there is a Patient Forum, should say on the Practice web-site  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 06:50:57 PM »

:welcomemm:

A few more details will help us help you. How old are you. When was your last period and what meno symptoms are you having.
Did your GP.....who is an idiot.....suggest HRT.

If you are not satisfied with what he has given you......lots give AD's rather than HRT......then you need to go back. Take a friend, or your hubby/partner for support. Write out your questions and hand him the list.
It's unacceptable to be dismissed like this but you really have to insist sometimes.

Have a look at the menu on the left. It's details out symptoms and treatment choices and is really helpful.

Hope you get the help that you need......and its not AD's.

Honeyb
x

gladys

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:08:25 PM »

Does diazepam help with nerves anxieties please

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 07:11:21 PM »

Hi Angela68

:welcomemm: from me too but sorry to hear it is under such difficult circumstances re your GP.

I agree with everything that has been said. You must go back and get better treatment and as honeybun says - we can advise you if we know a bit more.

Hurdity x

gladys

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:12:54 PM »

Does diazepam help with nerves anxieties please

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 07:16:09 PM »

Yes diazepam does help. Problem is its a benzodiazepine and is highly addictive.

Some GPs will give you a very short course that can be used in extreme circumstances but never on a daily basis.
They are usually given to get you through things like flying it dental appointments and social situations that are very difficult.

Honeyb
x

gladys

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 07:19:06 PM »

rather not take those can deal with sweats etc just anxiety harder to cope with any ideas please

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 07:22:49 PM »

Are you on HRT.....if not then St John's Wort is helpful as is vitamin B6 and B12.

If you do a forum search you will see hundreds of posts on anxiety. It can be a real issue in meno

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 07:36:17 PM »

Gladys - what worries you the most or is it generalised anxiety?  I had Valium on an as-necessary basis for several years.  I take a beta-blocka at night to stop surges and generally it does work.  I have an emergency tablet to take when necessary.

karenja

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »

Hi Angela I too have had anxiety, panic attacks and palpations as I have started peri-menupause, the doctors have not been very understanding with me, Im on hrt patches now and get good days and bad, but maybe worth a try, they gave me anti depressants I only took four and came off them I didn't want to take them, I was also given valium at one stage again only took one or two when the anxiety was very bad, this site is a godsend, so many ladies have been through the same thing and can offer lots of help and advice x

gladys

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 06:27:48 PM »

Would rather not take any more pills for anxiety I think it was just all this stuff hitting me like a train would not say I feel fantastic but I take each day as it comes some great some not so great I think that is the way its going to be for the moment I have only been on hurt tablets for 5wks and have been told its early.days so fingers crossed it gets slowly better so many lady on here in the same boat or worse must be great to be a man when you think about it we have puberty when our periods starts spots cramp we have baby which I wouldn't want to change then we have menopause I want to be a man who can have baby lol

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 07:27:32 PM »

Hopefully by taking 1 day at a time you can cope with any anxiety.  If you can work out any triggers, perhaps keep a mood and food diary?
Pages: [1] 2