Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Progesterone and joint ache  (Read 7749 times)

dahliagirl

Progesterone and joint ache
« on: August 07, 2014, 12:53:48 PM »

Amid the plethora of internet information extolling the virtues of natural progesterone for instant, magical relief from joint ache, I found this, which was interesting.

http://hypermobility.org/help-advice/hormones-hypermobility/

I was wondering if I needed more oestrogen in my hrt, or a different progestogen, but it may take a while ..........

dahliagirl

Re: Progesterone and joint ache
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »

I am taking elleste duet 1mg

I am on the 3rd month and it has been particularly noticeable.  The aching comes on after a few days on the green tablets.  I have one more to go, and am taking paracetomol and ibuprofen today, because I am fed up of it.  I started it to get rid of the joint aches  ::) and it has been lovely on the white tablets.

I had very bad achy hands and joints when my first son was about 4 months old and am now wondering if it was the progesterone only pill I was taking, but I can't remember which one it was.  I had no problems after the second pregnancy (twins).

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 03:15:15 PM »

I think the progesterone used to combat the estrogen in HRT is too large amount and may account for the aching and not very nice symptoms for many women or even the combination of estrogen and progesterone, the large amounts produced in pregnancy is combined with estriol not estrodiol, so you get the good calming effects of progesterone.

The 20-30mgs odd that you use using natural progesterone cream or gel (not opposing estrogen) is responsible for the good effects, more and some women don't feel so good.

http://natural-progesterone-cream.blogspot.co.uk/

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 10:11:13 AM »

Silverlady you are probably right about the large amounts of progestogen that they give you to combat oestrogen - the pills are one-size-fits-all, so must contain enough to give protection to women who need the largest amount.

It is interesting what you say about hair, Stellajane.  I have been shedding it all over the place!   It is long and curly, and gets everywhere.

I didn't take the last pill - I moved on to the next pack.  I couldn't face another day of it.  I am feeling better all ready, but that may be psychological  ;) .  I will start the process of trying to book an appointment with an appropriate doctor - there are none available with a doctor I recognise until September.   I shall ask the nurse, when I go for my BP check and smear, if she can have a look at my prescription history - it would be interesting to find out what sort of progestogen I was taking all those years ago when I was aching!

Chrislm

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 08:24:38 AM »

It is a useful article but I find the reference to post- menopausal women as "the elderly" exceptionally offensive. Would men in their late 40s be called "elderly"? I think not! I am not generally the sort of person who looks to be offended, but I still see too much evidence of the inclination to write women out once they cease to be fertile. It is particularly unacceptable in the  context of this article and the website involved should be ashamed.

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 09:08:55 AM »

Not sure which link you are referring too Chrisim, have had a quick look and only found this in the first link

"Similar arguments to those above for contraception apply to hormone replacement therapy after the menopause.  This normally involves a small amount of oestrogen to which a progestogen is added in women with an intact uterus.  Since the oestrogen amount is very small (deliberately so in view of the slight increased risk of breast cancer when oestrogens are given to the elderly as well as the risk of thrombosis), the amount of oestrogen is often not enough to provide a protective effect for the joints"

I think it is means  women over 60 and is good advice, and also a medical reference per se, a lot of women are on HRT well into their seventies and eighties.

The website has nothing to be ashamed of in my view.

I don't see anything to cause offense to women.

Chrislm

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 07:48:59 AM »

Hi Silverlady

It is this from the original link:

Since the oestrogen amount is very small (deliberately so in view of the slight increased risk of breast cancer when oestrogens are given to the elderly as well as the risk of thrombosis), the amount of oestrogen is often not enough to provide a protective effect for the joints.

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 08:34:30 AM »

Hi - just coming back to say the doctor thought I may need more oestrogen, but has prescribed Femoston to see if the change of progestogen helps.

So far, (still on the first month) it is better.

I need to go back again later to see if the oestrogen needs to be increased.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 03:25:41 PM »

Good news dahliagirl and hope you continue to feel better!

Hurdity x

2cats

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 05:01:02 PM »

I've been keeping a track of joint pain in my hands and stiffness in my legs and feet on waking...and I wondered if it was progesterone related as it seemed to coincide with starting the cyclogest pessaries each month...from the article, it seems that this could be the case.
So there are benefits to taking the prog. but downsides too.
I love the menopause - it's always throwing up another symptom for me to associate with it!!! NOT.