Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Old pillows  (Read 9508 times)

Suzi Q

Re: Old pillows
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 07:16:43 AM »

all the pillows in ozz have a use by date on them its about 2 years
as for throwing them i put them in the rubbish recy bin

Rowan

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 09:09:15 AM »

Put them in a black plastic bag and put them in the green bin, I put all my rubbish in bin bags those with the draw string ties and tie them in a tight knot.

HB's husband is right it all get slung on the tip, not much sorting going on, I read about this ages ago.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »

Our Council sorts really really well ………. I am in contact with the Councillor in charge of recycling, often  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 11:26:12 AM »

The shame of finding my bin with a CONTANIMATED sticker on it!

Taz x  :lol:

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 11:27:37 AM »

;D  ………… what colour was the sticker ? 

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 11:29:19 AM »

It was a yellow one - I think most council's have yellow ones. There's a phone number you can ring so they can discuss your mis-placement of waste.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »

…….. and did you?  Or would you be like me, put the sticker into the bin  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 11:37:17 AM »

No I phoned because if you don't then the bin wont be collected. It's very similar to Bournemouth's scheme http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/Environment/RecyclingWaste/Recycling-InformationandAdvice.aspx

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 11:49:13 AM »

Oh the shame Taz  ;D

Fascinated that Ozz has use by dates on pillows. I am dreadful with mine. Takes me ages to get used to a new one and then I'm reluctant to give up one that's been beaten into shape.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 12:23:05 PM »

Were you wrapped over the knuckles or did a 'very nice lady' explain the error of your ways?  :D

Taz2

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 01:52:13 PM »

It was all dealt with very amicably and then the bin was emptied the next day which made me wonder how much more diesel was being used going round emptying bins which hadn't been emptied on the actual day of collection. Surely that's even more pollution!

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 03:13:14 PM »

Our small kitchen is made so much smaller with the different inside bins for plastic, tin, glass etc., we have a slop bin and three outside bins, as well as basket and small bin for newspapers so I don't worry about the odd stuff put in the green bin. Oh and I have forgotten the bin for garden waste e.g. grass cuttings.

Electricals etc. go to the main tip. I wonder what people who don't drive do getting to a remote recycle tip, the council charge to leave a large dumpster outside your house and then collect it, you have to order this.

It makes me mad that after the dustbin men have been or if it has been a particularly windy day they leave strewn rubbish.

We have a neighbour who sneaks his rubbish into our bins sometimes too, we have watched him  :o

We certainly do our bit recycling on the home front and I wonder just what does go on at the other end and I as I have said I have read that it is not all that we our led to believe.

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 03:39:11 PM »

Your Council web-site should have an environmental section which will explain where it all 'goes' and how much the COuncil saves by recycling.  If not, send an e-mail!

Taz2

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »

We only have two outside bins - a grey one for general stuff and a green one for cardboard tins and paper. There is a garden waste collection once a month but you have to pay for that so we don't bother. All of my uneaten food goes onto the birdtable were the starlings, magpies, robins and jackdaws make short shrift of it. I hate the wheely bins that line all the victorian terraced streets in town - they  make everywhere look really scruffy.

Taz x

oldsheep

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 09:39:31 AM »

Taz, we have bright red handles of shame that they hang on the wheelie bins.  ;D Being London, no-one pays the slightest attention.
My neighbours used to have tenants who thought pizza cartons were 'recyclable' so we had a lot of red hanging about on bin day!
Since then, we successfully lobbied for those huge wheelie bins for communal dwellings. Works far better, although they locked the lid of the blue top 'green' bin so we had to get pliers and force it open. If Council think I am carrying down individual recycling by hand down 55 stairs they are wrong  ;D

Publicity lately about how we all should be changing our pillows every 6 months. Ho hum. What is annoying is the amount of money the launderette charges for washing and tumble drying pillows, as you could buy a new one for that (as they told me) - £10. (I don't have a tumble drier in the flat and pillows don't dry properly in the open air).
I hate to think of landfill crammed with decaying pillows, but as someone with neck pain, I've never found any of the eco pillows either comfortable, or affordable.
Pages: 1 [2]