Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Vagifem  (Read 6230 times)

Rhones

Vagifem
« on: November 16, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »

Hi, I'm new to this Forum and really need some advice please  ;D
Not had a period for 4 months and experiencing vaginal dryness which makes intercourse very painful so doctor prescribed Vagifem.  Having read up on it I'm not sure if I should start using it or not because of the side effects!
Are there any safe alternatives to Vagifem?  :)

Annie0710

Re: Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 07:16:06 PM »

The only way you'll know if you get any side effects is by trying it.  I use it daily and can't think of anything negative to say about it

NinaH

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 07:34:40 PM »

I used this twice a week along with hrt but it wasn't enough and doc said I can use x2 three times a week.

The difference is amazing!

robotwars

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 08:27:16 PM »

I have used it for a year now and no side effects.

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 09:44:26 PM »

Hi Rhonda, and welcome to the MM forum.

I'm another Vagifem fan. I think most people get on well with it and don't usually experience side effects. The side effects mentioned in the patient information leaflet are the same as for full HRT, so most are not relevant to locally applied oestrogen as only a very tiny amount is absorbed systemically. (Silly, but that's the way they do it!)

Alongside the Vagifem, you could also use one of the vaginal moisturisers. Sylk and Yes are good brands.

JP x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 10:13:36 PM »

Joaniepat has done an excellent post. 
Rhones  - Vagifem gives few, if any, side effects and is very safe  - initially you use it every day for 2 weeks, then 2-3 times a week after that -  sometimes this can give a little burning or mild irritation at first but this is rare.
Vagifem is a very, very small amount of oestrogen and will actually protect your urogenital area from atrophy and should probably be used at a preventative for the rest of our lives. 
Vaginal moisturiser is a good idea but not to be used at the same time as Vagifem - these moisturisers will help to maintain the flora balance in the vagina.  Extra lubrication for sex is also essential - Perfect Glide by Durex is great.  DG x

Rhones

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »

Thank you all very much for your advice, it's been really helpful  :)  How on earth did women cope with the Menopause years ago as it wasn't a topic up for discussion.....they must have thought they were going crazy?! I'm just glad I found this website  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 04:52:19 PM »

OK - which side effects worried you?   Quality of Life is important.  Vaginal atrophy will not sort itself.  It needs continual treatment in order to avoid extreme dryness, ithyness, repeated urine infection-type symptoms - as oestrogen levels drop the whole body may suffer with dryness: deep in the ears, eyes, skin, scalp, vagina, between the tows .......  toes even  ::)

There is so little uptake from Vagifem and isn't it better to feel well?  Without Ovestgin1mg that I use I wouldn't be here, it was like razor blades up there and impossible to live with.  I had breast disease years ago and my GP never hesitated in prescribing it

Tinkerbell

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 05:00:39 PM »

I use Vagifem every day, no side effects, just the benefits....no burning,stinging, needing to wee at night, walk and sit without pain, exercise and have no issues with sex either!
Do not be put off using Vagifem, VA only gets worse.
And the warnings in the leaflet are for systemic HRT, not topical treatment.

Maryjane

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 06:32:56 PM »

Believe me from someone who's life has been turned upside down by VA , take the treatment. VA only gets worse can only be managed and not cured.

If you look up menopause matters magazine May edition , page 12 there are three pages about VA which is me 🙄, so have a read and take it. 💐

JaneinPen

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 09:28:59 PM »

Hi Rhones.  I use  Vagifem three times a week and for me it has been a lifesaver. No more constant UTI's and no side effects so go for it. You won't regret it

Hezzalady67!

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »

I used it for four months following VA and a kidney infection. I had the pessaries and found it hard to use at first, due to soreness.

However, this soon improved as did the symptoms. I was then changed onto evorel conti patches and all remains well.

No negatives apart from the actual practicalities at first.

Linsey44

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 09:44:24 PM »

Hi Rhones

I use vagifem and its def something that needs continually used, I got careless and stopped using it as frequently as I should have and it catches up with you and takes time to get your symptoms under control again.

Ive also been using Yes VM which also help.

DG from a practical perspective I get using vagifem and  yes VM together isnt gonna work properly, how do you manage it,   I thought using a vagifem one night then next night using a yesVM then niothing on the 3rd nt before starting night4 with vagifem and repeating etc.

Basically what im asking is how long would you give between vagifem and yes VM?

Thanks

Linsey x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 11:38:04 PM »

The Vagifem has an applicator  which delivers the pessary quite high up into the vagina and I believe this will all be absorbed through the night. I use SYLK every night and morning but only put a small amount on my finger, pushing some a little way into the vagina but when using the Vagifem I mostly smear all around the vaginal entrance. As the Vagifem is used before bed - the next morning I can insert the SYLK more deeply into the vagina. This way the SYLK isn't going to prevent the absorption of the Vagifem.
If you used oestrogen creams then the vaginal moisturisers will prevent absorbtion. You would then need to leave a few hours after applying the oestrogen cream before using The moisturiser. Hope that makes sense. DG x

Linsey44

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 01:27:11 PM »

Thanks DG. It does make sense

Linseyx