Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ticks on animals  (Read 9887 times)

honeybun

Re: Ticks on animals
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »

It's what they do ellie.   ;D. It's what they do.

;D

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »

Not all GPs are aware of Lyme disease  :-\

I never got 1000s of fleas off our pets, the most of the cat was 22 in one go …….. he was almost completely white and had been near a hedge hog  ::) ……… therapeutic sitting in the sun picking them out ……. when we went rabbiting with the dogs they would come out of the holes with fleas …… again, never many, enough to need picking off, job done.  I would never use chemicals unless they became a problem, however, the flea cycle includes the tape worm  :sick02: so if a pet is infested with fleas, a tape-worm treatment, usually by injection is also required. Nature is fascinating  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 06:58:29 PM »

You use chemicals on yourself CLKD, why not on a dog or cat.

Rabbiting....very cruel I think. Not a quick death. I take it you ate the rabbit.

My hubby shoots but never ever shoots something that won't be eaten.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »

Rabbits die quickly at the teeth of a ferret or JR  ;) ……. we only take what we are going to use for the pot.

Because pets don't have a choice as to what is put into their bodies or onto their fur, therefore unless there is a lot of critters I prefer to use finger and thumb  ;) ………. hunter gathering ………  :-X

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 05:57:04 PM »

I did post before and then removed it as  I wanted to speak to hubby.

He is mystified CLKD. He hunted rabbits, hares pheasants ect since he was about 14.
He has also been with people who use dogs. He tells me that the dog users, use them to flush rabbits out and never to kill. He says if they do kill they are disciplined as then the meat is ruined.
He is interested in how it works when you say....You only take what you can use for the pot.

It was just a conversation that we had tonight and I probably learned way more than  i wanted to know about how a rabbit has to be treated immediately after a kill if you want to eat it.  :o. I really did not want to know this  ;D

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 06:52:23 PM »

;D  ........... there's a special phrase which escapes me ....... but it can be messy  :-X

We used ferrets to flush out rabbits, nets 1 side of the warren and the JR nipped them in the back of the neck as they ran out.  Instant. 

Exactly what I mean - if we go after pheasants we shoot 2/3 brace - enough for the pot and a couple of the freezer, dependant on how many mouths we are feeding.  For example a friend has a whole pheasant to himself  :o  ;D ... fish the same, 1 for the oven, another for the freezer.  We bred rabbits for several years, the doe threw 11 at a time - raised until 5lb then ...........  :-X ....... bartered for chicken/eggs/cheese/pet sitting oh we was young then  ::)

I took a cat to the Vet today and surprisingly she didn't want to treat it - yet.  A watch and wait situation.  She used a very good flea comb on t he areas that the cat has been cleaning a lot and only a few dirts came out and even she admitted it could have been blood from where the cat had scratched rather than from a flea.  Teeth good.  Appetite, not so good  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »

What type of guns do you and hubby use CLKD? Didn't know you were into shooting.

We have a country park next door to us where they breed pheasants for the annual shoots. Hubby gets to use a Browning which he seemingly loves. He gave up keeping guns at home when the kids were small and it all became very complicated. They were sold many years ago. I think he shed a tear or two when his Browning went. I was a dreadful shot. Think of barn door and I would miss it  ;D

How do you and hubby manage the gun laws these days. I know hubby still has a hankering but it's almost impossible.

Good news about the cat. Wait and see is so much cheaper  ;D

Honeyb
x
Pages: 1 [2]